This Winter Break, I am reading Frank Lloyd Wright’s Usonian Houses by John Sergeant. It’s a rather dense text, but expresses the characteristics and concepts of Wright’s designs quite elaborately. A lot of what is written is ambiguous and can be interpreted in many different ways, but that’s architecture for you. I find it extremely helpful to scribble notes and circle important bits while I am reading to better digest the endless columns of words. The occasional pictures and plans of Wright’s houses offer quick breaks between chapters to rest the brain a little. I don’t think I’ve read enough of it just yet to fairly say whether or not I like the book, but it definitely is an interesting read.

This week, I plan on visiting the Stephen A. Schwarzman Research Library at 42nd Street to read the other books Professor Leadon has assigned to the studio: The Natural House and The Living City by Frank Lloyd Wright. There is another lengthy list of suggested readings, but I don’t know how much of that I can read through.

Friday night, I plan on going to an architect’s office to scan some of my drawings from first semester.

On Saturday night I leave for Colorado! Mom, Kevin, and I are going skiing/snowboarding at Copper for 7 days. Hopefully the snow is good – it should be very exciting! The altitude might take some getting used to, though. We come back on the 14th of January. The Women’s Colgate Games has a meet at 9 AM on Saturday. I might be able to go to that since it’s in the morning, but I would have to be very quick about it. The CCNY Track Team also has a meet that day, but I can’t go, because it’s in some remote place and ends late. There’s another meet on the 14th which I probably will not be able to make, and I would be missing practice all that week. Oh well. I’m just trying to get in as many Armory practices as I can, while going on long runs on my own. Running around in Hamilton Heights in the dead of night is not exactly safe.

Anyways, just checked out the Snow Report and it looks like Copper has some pretty sunny weather, but not much snow.