Lenox Road

lenox

lenox church

Lenox Road is hard to miss with its large apartment buildings. As of May 8th, 2016, another one is being built. The large brown brick homes contrast the smaller houses ones that seem to have teleported from the suburbs. As one walks down the streets, many a people will greet you, and expect a greeting back. Many of those who live in the buildings of 222 Lenox Road have lived there for quite some time, establishing an intimacy with the neighborhood that contrasts the singularity of other part of New York.

An example of the atmosphere is in Amelie Beauty Salon. The salon is a small, privately owned place. The owner, and the employees, are all from Spanish-speaking countries, and often chat to each other in their native tongue. A radio plays a Spanish station, with upbeat songs in the language belted out. Thus, the overall feel is similar to the mom-and-pop business that was in jeopardy. However, the many costumers show that the place is safe from the threat of trendier places. The many regulars who come and talk freely with the employees, as well as the visits from their friends and family, shows how the community is rather close-knit.

I was able to get an interview from a long-time resident, who will go by the name P.D. to provide extra insight. The Daily News and Brooklyn Based have shown certain residents’ perspectives from other parts of Flatbush Avenue.

Question: Residents reported to the Daily News and Brooklyn Based that they liked the low crime rate in Flatbush. How would you rate crime in the area?

Hmmm…well, to be quite honest, I don’t think the crime rate is high in this Flatbush area. On the odd occasion, you have maybe a drunk situation, but in general, the crime rate isn’t that high over here. But we do have situations that occur occasionally, but if you had to put a percentage, I’d say 10 percent is the highest. The place for me is a pretty quiet area.

Question: An article on the closing of mom-and-pop stores in Flatbush has noted the disadvantages of trendier stores coming in. Yet, AM New York’s interviews shows that some people are welcoming a “new vitality,” and the arrival of young professionals who seem to share similar likes about the neighborhood. Do you think that the overall feeling of the area changed in any way?

Yes. The neighbor had grown, and some change has taken place. I would say the cultural aspect of the area is causing a lot of people to move back. Also the historical areas have been invested in. As a whole, it is becoming more, as you say, “trendy.” Even the population’s changed. I find that more white folks are moving back, as a lot of jobs are opening up because of development, or maybe it’s less expensive than living in the city.

Question: How would you describe the area?

The development in terms of Lenox is a lot of apartment buildings, and on the increase. Quite a few old building that were boarded up were bought in recent years. The economy seems to be going up. More housing and commercial accommodation. You have a hospital/medical school developing. There’s a lot of training for young people going into medical school, because down there is a state hospital. You can do your bachelor’s there, medical degree, and so on.

Question: The New York City Parks website has information on Flatbush malls, in which it is said to have been made into a “proto-suburb” in the late 1800s. Would you support the idea that Lenox has a very close-knit community today?

I know it has a Block Association and so on. I think in general people look out for each other. People keep it clean, it’s a safe street. Years ago, when I was going to college, I knew there was a building over where a gentleman coming from Long Island rode the train with me, and I used to say, “Good night,” to him, or we’d sometimes walk together from the train station. A long time afterwards, he said, “You know, I see if you get to your building safe.” In terms of like, if you had to compare it to the West Indies, you won’t know it as easy. Some people have conversations with you. Some people know my mother, who has lived there for a long time, and look out for her. So I can say yes, it is a close knit-community.

*Due to technical difficulties, images were taken from a Google search.