Oct 06 2009

Symptoms of a prophet

Elizabeth Rosen, while analyzing Terry Gilliam’s film Twelve Monkeys, argues that “being an End-time prophet is maddening; that is, by its nature, it jeopardizes one’s sanity” (Rosen 89-90). Kushner’s Prior Walter would certainly agree.

Prior is quickly convinced he is going crazy during his dealings with the Angel. The first time he mentions the voice to Belize, he blames it on the drugs he’s taking. But Belize isn’t so sure – he’s afraid of dementia and warns Prior, “Don’t go crazy on me, girlfriend” (Millennium Approaches 61).

Later, when Louis is pumping Belize for information about Prior, Belize tells Louis Prior thinks he’s going crazy, and Prior himself repeats this concern to his nurse, Emily (Millenium Apporaches 97-98).

Finally, in Part Two, Prior says to Hannah, “I saw an angel. That’s insane. Insane. But I’m not insane. But then why did I do this to myself? Because I have been driven insane…ever since She arrived, ever since, I have been consumed by this ice-cold, razorblade terror that just shouts and shouts ‘Keep moving! Run!” And I’ve run myself…into the ground. Right where she said I’d eventually be” (Perestroika 102-103).

Prior’s fight with AIDS and the reactions of other characters (especially Hannah and Belize) when he tells them about the Angel support Rosen’s belief that “Prophets sow anxiety and discord…so the ends they suffer…tend to be ugly ones…Certainly, such prophets suffer scorn and their prophecies are dismissed as delusions of diseased minds” (Rosen 89).

However, unlike most of the prophets (Cassandra, James Cole, Jeffery Goines, etc.) Rosen mentions in Chapter 3, A Tortured State of Mind, Prior gets a fairly happy ending. By rejecting his prophesy and choosing life, Prior avoids eternally experiencing “the agony of the apocalyptist” (Rosen, 88). Prior is lucky in that he gets a chance to say no – it is rare that a prophet gets the opportunity to wrestle with an angel and be granted a choice.

One response so far

One Response to “Symptoms of a prophet”

1.   danielon 06 Oct 2009 at 10:01 am

Biblical prophets use to be alone in there tent and sleeping when they received prophesy.

Kant – I think – says there is no knowledge a priori, except divine revelation.

Prior’s choice reminds me of Cypher in ‘The Matrix.’ Is blissful ignorance really blissful? Is the pain of knowing worth it?

Lastly, if the whole world had a Gdly revelation, would be all become believers? Would many write it off as mass delusion? Would it matter if prophesy was received by an individual or a community? I think not, but I’m curious to hear what you think.