Oct 12 2009

deus ex machina

“I’ll tell you a secret. The last act makes a film. Wow them in the end, and you got a hit. You can have flaws, problems, but wow them in the end, and you’ve got a hit. Find an ending, but don’t cheat, and don’t you dare bring in a deus ex machina.”

Robert McKee to Charlie Kaufman – Adaptation.

Though I’m only at chapter eleven, I think I know how it’s going to end. Part Tom Clancy, Sunday sermon, Mel Gibson and call to action, Glorious Appearing thus far has been predictable.

Jews for Jesus makes a lot more sense now. For if you are sure that Jesus will return and that the bible was “God’s love song to the Jews,” then Jews believing in Jesus becomes mightily important. The same way that if you believe that millions will suffer due to global warming and you are an altruistic sort of person, then you’ll change your day-to-day life to compliment your understanding about the future of our planet.

Perhaps the comparison is a bit unfair, as belief and scientific theory are different, but as Nicholas Wade points out in his review of Richard Dawkins’ latest book, The Greatest Show on Earth, “When Dawkins asserts that evolution ‘is a fact in the same sense as it is a fact that Paris is in the Northern Hemisphere’…he has let himself slip into being as dogmatic as his opponents.”

Humans have had a proclivity towards using dogma as a means of asserting our views as truth. Sometimes rigorous arguments just don’t do the trick.

Knowing how it’s going to end is a fine source of capital – especially for book sales.

One response so far

One Response to “deus ex machina”

1.   priyapuliyampeton 19 Oct 2009 at 12:55 pm

[quote] Humans have had a proclivity towards using dogma as a means of asserting our views as truth. Sometimes rigorous arguments just don’t do the trick. [/quote]

Absolutely agree. When we can’t find evidence for our arguments, we make it up. That’s were mythology came from.