Oct 19 2009

Glorious Appearing: Part two.

Published by under Uncategorized

Once upon a time, there lived a group of believers who were persecuted by mean people and God came made the bad guys pay by melting their eyes and rotting their flesh and everyone else lived happily ever after, the end. Deux ex machina in a manner I would only expect from the Scripture: this is the Glorious Appearing in a nutshell.
If there is anything I worry about after reading this book it is that, perhaps, the authors imaginations for anything more than blood and gore is severely lacking. The characters are “perfect” Christians— those who have had troubled pasts but found themselves in Jesus. The characters lack depth because they are nothing more than puppets who say “praise the Lord,” “Amen,” and “Jesus spoke to me” in every other sentence and fall to their knees in front of their Lord in truly dramatic fashion more than a few times through out the course of the book. Every waking moment is spent discussing prophesies, conducting Bible studies and, praying. Then, once Jesus arrives, all the characters ever seem to say is, “He spoke to me in [insert native language here], wow”— whatever little depth we see in the characters is their love for the Christ. After the Glorious Appearing, the Believers are indestructible and the rest of the plot almost has no meaning. For example, we are not worried when a group of Believers walk around GC troops in Jerusalem because we know nothing horrible could happen to members of the tribulation force. There was nothing to look forward to because we knew exactly how the story would end. Someone mentioned in their post that we read and listen to stories where we know the ending all the time. Those stories are circulated within a culture to reaffirm certain beliefs. This story, within the “born-again” Christian community would have been a success because it reflects what they believe. However, when I read it, I feel like the outsider who would be sent to the pit of fire. Perhaps only believers would be able to truly appreciate the novels in a way the authors intended.
Finally, I feel like it is hard to criticize Glorious Appearing without criticizing the Christian God, the Christian view of God, or the Christian’s view of good Christian behavior. This is partially because the second half of this book has been lifted out of the Book of Revelation complete with the Jesus’ verbatim dialogue. Also, I find that what I disliked most about the characters made them perfect Christians. If I were to tell a “born-again” Christian that I did not like the Left Behind series, they would probably tell me to find God first: basically, I feel that there is no non-religious way to enjoy this book and a lot of it has to be taken on blind faith.

One response so far

One Response to “Glorious Appearing: Part two.”

1.   jedwardson 19 Oct 2009 at 11:58 pm

Its funny because even though my faith is rooted in a Christian tradition I feel left out also. Not in terms of lakes of fire and eternal damnation, but in terms of I missed the memo when the book was published and read by 63 million other people yet I have only heard of it in passing. It would be hard for me to say that I was comfortable with the characters lack of depth, culture and their overall inability to be a person that I am familiar with in my own community. I do not know if this helps but every Christian(at least me) will not tell you to find God because you hate the book. I did not like and probably was never encouraged to read it because discussing the “end” never really extended past physical death. My Christian grandmother when she was dying spoke about the comfort and peace death would bring because of the hardships she faced while alive. It could be the legacy of coming from a family with roots in rural poverty she and as a result I am not that far sighted.