Perception of Philippe Petit

Arts in NYC Forums Man on Wire Perception of Philippe Petit

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1008
    Zara McPartland
    Participant

Man on Wire delved into the intricacies of Philippe Petit’s life, revealing the effects of his stunt on personal relationships. I truly appreciated the context provided and after watching the documentary, I felt I had an intimate understanding of Petit’s ‘character’. Petit was willing to sacrifice everything to accomplish his goal, including his funds, relationships, safety, and future. His inhuman passion is something I feel you rarely encounter in real life; I saw him more as a fictional character rather than a living individual. Interestingly enough, my perspective shifted when it was revealed he cheated on his partner after achieving what had essentially become their goal. In my mind, this brought the god-like persona Petit encouraged crashing to the ground. I was reminded of his humanity and the egocentric actions that enabled his accomplishment in the first place. Petit’s unshakeable focus brought harm and strife to those who tried to guide him in his pursuit of the impossible. His addiction to the wire stunt and its repercussions were exposed by the interviews of his accomplices. The element of multiple perspectives made the documentary fascinating and allowed for more dimensions and dissections of Philippe Petit. The expansion of the ‘narrative’ allows the audience to make their own deductions, outside of the whimsical story Petit weaves and promotes.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.