Native Poverty

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1302
    abassadams
    Participant

Something which struck me about the movie was the way that it conveys larger themes within a very short time. There’s a lot of elements which can be elaborated on and explored further, and which gave me hours of research. For example, I was curious about the financial situation of the tribe. They are shown to be living off the land, but with some modern elements. Curious of how these could be purchased, I googled some of the financials of Amazon tribes. I ended up finding out online that indigenous tribes are at extreme poverty risk. In Brazil, the poorest region in the country is the Amazon, and the poorest ethnic group is natives. (World Bank Group.) I was expecting something to that effect, but not to that degree. Knowing that, the results of the movie are even more horrifying. These people have been systemically left with nothing but their land, and are the poorest ethnic group in their country. To know that some logging and mining companies are still set on removing everything they have left, elevates company actions from already cruel, to evil. The more I learn about the information behind this movie, the more shocked I am by the cruelty some people have.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.