Local Passion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1473
    Zara McPartland
    Participant

It was intriguing to hear the story of how Michael Palma’s passion was cultivated in his home by his father. The persistent yet fluctuating prominence of photography throughout his lifetime demonstrates how inescapable our true callings can be. His identity and personal development are shadowed by photography, showing a depth of connection. His unique experience growing up in Manhattan, near our campus was truly interesting to hear about. I enjoyed his response to my question ‘is photography different when shooting with and without a purpose’; the differences between structure and creativity within the two circumstances produce different results. One is not necessarily greater than the other, and they both serve various intentions. After reflecting on his response, I realized I could apply this to my own artwork. In my high school AP studio program, sometimes restrictions and directions helped me produce my best work. I became reliant on the assignment’s boundaries. Quarantine gave me the freedom to explore my own prompts, allowing me to create uniquely satisfying art. The difference between the two is apparent, yet art was created. I will do my best to integrate the lessons he bestowed upon our class into my perspective. His photographs are very impressive and it was nice meeting him!

#1784
    elange
    Participant

I completely agree with you. I had the same reliance on structured assignments when it comes to writing. This was evident when I would try to write my blog posts this semester. Stemming from the complete lack of instructions, my mind would draw a blank and I would have no clue what to write about. This was very strange as I always am thinking or talking about something, whether it be recent political news or recently released music. However, when I sat down to write about something, I couldn’t get the “words onto the paper”. This showed me that I should not rely so heavily on writing structure, as you said you once relied to heavily on your studio art assignments’ structures, and write more open-ended and meaningless pieces.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.