A Very Nice Cup of Tea that Just Isn’t for Me (V2/EDIT)

Arts in NYC Forums D.K. Music (2) – Connections A Very Nice Cup of Tea that Just Isn’t for Me (V2/EDIT)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1703
    Cristian Statescu
    Participant

Daniel trying to bring attention to the blind by using a medium the blind don’t really participate in (for obvious reasons) is something that I find really interesting and wholesome. To be honest, I’m not a fan of the photographs that were made, but that doesn’t mean they’re not good pieces of art. What he did to bring attention to blind photographers is stunning and very admirable. However, it’s simply not my cup of tea. I can appreciate the fact that Daniel is an incredibly inclusive and innovative artist, someone that genuinely thinks out of the box, but his work doesn’t get me excited as other pieces of art do. I do get happy seeing how inclusive he is being, but I’m really not into his artwork. In terms of his music, I’m not crazy about jazz, but I did enjoy the music he put out, just it’s not something I would listen to, because, again, it’s not my cup of tea. Nonetheless, his attitude, and his smile, are very contagious, making the experience very fun. Overall, I enjoyed Daniel as a guest because of his incredibly giving and caring personality, but not so much his work. This is not because his work is bad, but simply because It’s not what I like. While music has left a positive impact on my life, jazz wasn’t the genre that helped me get through tough times, which is possibly why I wasn’t really impacted by Daniel’s work. Either way, what do you guys think? Did you enjoy Daniel’s personality and/or his work, and if so, what specifically?

P.S. This is my real post, the first one wasn’t fully edited and the website wasn’t letting me edit the post. Sorry for any confusion.

#1710
    Varin
    Participant

You made a lot of good points, Cristian. I liked how you commented on the art itself and Daniel’s personality, because both seem to be the complements of one another and a key to understanding his motivation and purpose as an artist. The idea of being “blind” is something that is literally confronted in the creation of the artwork we saw, but even more profound than that is the blind analysis and open mindedness we likewise exhibit towards the art. It is important that we are receptive to the media as a whole as well as its capabilities. Unlike you, however, I did honesty like Daniel’s work because it seems to defy all conventions and communicate something entirely out-of-the-box to someone like me, who has no serious background or experience in music. Nonetheless, to constrain Daniel’s work to a single “genre”, like jazz, for instance, doesn’t seem to do justice to the artform as a whole. Ultimately, Daniel’s presentation wasn’t about jazz or the music in itself, but how uses the music’s unique qualities to connect to others.

#1713
    Leonidas Kalpaxis
    Participant

I think Daniel’s presentation was great. Some of photos that were shown were nice, particularly the one’s that were somewhat painting with streaks of light. I agree that it’s hard to classify Daniel’s musical work as being within a specific genre because of the uniqueness of the music due to the scope of the voices he aims to include. As a music maker myself I was intrigued at how Daniel was able to weave stories into his songs with words and art, not just through the music alone. This is reminiscent of plays, or even movies, where the spoken word is combined with visual art and music to tell a story. So Daniel after all is not doing something entirely new, it’s just that he’s making the art about topics and people not usually focused on: in this case, those who suffer from vision loss or blindness.

#1735
    coryweng
    Participant

I think as you guys all allude to it, I think Daniel’s work is unique, and although it may be something that we’re not all familiar with, I believe it’s the uniqueness that makes it special and makes him stand out. And I really appreciate his efforts and help to include the blind so that even those who are blind can make an impact and contribution to society. I remember asking Daniel how the blind can ever know for sure whether their intended vision is ever replicated, and Daniel gave me a satisfying answer that more important than how close the final product is from the blind’s original plan is the fact that visitors to these gallery often marvel and tell the blinds how much they appreciated their work and how they’re fascinated at their envisioning.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.