A Reflection on the World We’re Living in

Arts in NYC Forums Theatre – Antigone A Reflection on the World We’re Living in

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1715
    Katherine Hunt
    Participant

I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. It was incredibly moving, and the fact that this production was conceived due to riots occurring 6 years ago and still remains extremely relevant today is a concerning fact. I was aware of the story of Antigone after reading Oedipus in high school, but I had never read or seen the play before. I was glad that the production was digestible, and this made it easy to follow the connections made by the people in the conversation that followed. While I do admit that seeing the play over zoom definitely made it lose some of its luster, I believe that the meaning still remained prominent and I had no issue with following along. I also think that is was very special to have live performances by the chorus. I played in orchestra in high school, and once school moved online it was impossible for us to do live performances unless they were solos. All of the performances that we did as a group were prerecorded and took weeks to figure out and put together. I’m still trying to figure out now how the sound engineer for Antigone in Ferguson was able to get everything to line up, including the conductor that I saw.
    This experience will stick with me for a while. It was a unique wake up call to the “performative activism” that has been seen almost too much over the past few months, and a realization to how long these important issues in our society have gone unaddressed by our government.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.