Slowing Down

Arts in NYC Forums Smoke Slowing Down

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #233
    coryweng
    Participant

The scene of Auggie showing Paul Benjamin his 4,000 photographs project immediately amazed and overwhelmed me as much as it probably did to Paul Benjamin. Like Auggie, I really enjoy photography and when I watched Auggie describe his project of taking a picture at the same location every morning at the same time every day, in my mind, I thought this was a very cool project and hoped to try it on my own one day. During this scene, Auggie conveys an important lesson about slowing down. In class, we mentioned how one of the characteristics of New York is that things are fast-paced, accelerating, and oftentimes, we as New Yorkers are numb and do not notice the normal day-to-day things around us and have to rely on something extreme to excite us. But I like how Auggie takes pictures of one little part of the world, his corner, and makes the point that there are things happening at this corner every day just like anywhere in the world. As Paul Benjamin is going through the album, Auggie notices that he is going too fast and tells him he’s not going to understand it if he doesn’t slow down and notice. Paul Benjamin says the pictures all look the same, but Auggie mentions that each one is in fact different from each other, as some are taken on a bright day, others on dark days, others on days where people are wearing t-shirts, days where people are carrying an umbrella.

Exploring this theme of slowing down, I notice that this is actually an integral theme throughout the movie that Paul Benjamin learns. From the very beginning, Paul Benjamin is always hurrying and even crossed the street at the wrong light, almost killing himself. In the beginning, we also notice Paul Benjamin as very busy and occupied with his life and career as a writer. After Rashid stayed two nights at his apartment, Paul Benjamin quickly dismisses him, without slowing down and even giving a second thought about his decision. He didn’t feel sorry for him at first. He may have saw Rashid as any ordinary teenager at first (just like all of Auggie’s photos that were the same), but never took the time to slow down and see the individual story behind each person. It wasn’t until Aunt Em came over and had a conversation with Paul Benjamin that he began to worry. Evidently, we see a change in Paul Benjamin’s character as we see how the next time Rashid returns, Paul actually takes the time to talk with him, finds out about his background and problems, and even spends the evening with him talking about his writing and history.
    (Word Count: 445)

#323
    Katherine Hunt
    Participant

I like your personal connection to the photo album – I also thought that would be a super cool project to do when Auggie showed the album to Paul. I also noticed that “slowing down” was a prominent theme throughout the entire movie, not just when Auggie had mentioned it. I feel that the theme of slowing down also matches the pace of the movie – all of the events take place in a very small but believable time frame. You highlight Paul Benjamin as reflecting the theme of “slowing down” the most, and I would agree. He acts very erratically, but you can see the arc that the character takes throughout the movie and by the end he seems to become more aware of the reality of the situation he got himself into.

#348
    abassadams
    Participant

I didn’t pay much special attention to that scene, or that theme throughout the movie, when first watching it. However, with your post analysis, I want to go back and re-watch it just to find more details. Paul is absolutely a rushed man, which is ironic considering that for all that he’s rushing ahead, he’s actually still stuck in the past- on his wife’s death. I think his hurried state is a sign of his personal attempts to distract himself- to move fast enough and work to exhaustion often enough that he has no time for thoughts which cause him sorrow. Auggie and Aunt M’s reminders to slow down, however, are the points in the movie where Paul finally embraces his emotions- crying at his wife’s picture in Auggie’s store, and finally having a heart to heart with Rashid.
    I think this theme of slowing down is also connected to the real world- although we lack the ability to physically slow time, it’s astounding how much we can slow our perception of time down just by focusing on our surroundings. What feels like five minutes when engrossed in a mobile game can stretch into an hour when you’re watching those around you. New Yorkers, it seems, do have time travel abilities- just not in the way you’d think.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.