judge, jury, and executioner

Arts in NYC Forums Let the Great World Spin judge, jury, and executioner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #416
    Chris
    Participant

As I read the narratives of the characters within Let the Great World Spin, I frequently stopped reading to ponder about my own prejudices towards the various New Yorkers I met. Sometimes it would be a quick pause–a brief second in which I lived through the eyes of a fictional character. Had I ever considered giving the clothes upon my back to those less fortunate, as Corrigan had done even in his youth? Other times I found myself unable to focus on reading for hours. The image of an insignificant human challenging an Almighty God above while suspended on a razor-thin wire from the hell below. What does my own life matter in the grand scheme of things?

Let the Great World Spin doesn’t judge the lives of its characters and teaches abandon our prejudices of others through exposure. That is why I find the narrative of Solomon particularly ironic. Solomon is white. Solomon is wealthy. And Solomon is the only character in the novel whose job is explicitly to judge the character of others. In spite of the power given to him, the novel illustrates how the justice system is flawed. It occurred to me, that like many New Yorkers, Solomon has probably never considered giving up something of personal importance to someone who could use it more. Solomon exists in direct contrast to Corrigan, who though also white and relatively wealthy, has lived his entire life selflessly. Where Solomon sees a future of crime, Corrigan sees the potential for redemption. Where Solomon expects respect and values reputation, Corrigan is humble and suffers beatings from pimps to provide a meager sanctuary for prostitutes. But this irony isn’t what brought me intrigue.

Solomon recognizes that the world of justice and law is far removed from what he originally imagined it to be. While he thought he could make a difference in the world, he has surrendered to the realization that it takes all that he has to keep from drowning in the endless sea of criminals. This is understandable, but what makes angers me is his inability to communicate. He is conservative with regard to his own personal emotions and doesn’t risk sharing his own self with others. It is unlikely that Solomon will ever learn of the sufferings experienced by the impoverished and criminals (unlike his wife Claire, who reaches out to Gloria). He will likely only ever see them as thugs and people up to no good. In refusing to expand his worldview, he becomes part of the problem he originally sought to change: an imperfect justice system. It is this ironic twist of his dream that both saddens and angers me.

#539
    Jane Ekhtman
    Participant

I felt the same way reading about Corrigan. My first reaction was sort of similar to Ciarin’s, as if Corrigan was letting others take advantage of him too much. However, as I read on, I thought there was something wrong with how quickly I criticized Corrigan, a man with pure intentions. It’s unfortunate how we’ve been conditioned to view Corrigan’s way of life as wrong.
    Solomon seems to represent capitalism really well. He’s given the option every day to do good, and yet he avoids it. Even on the day of the trial, Tillie’s case means nothing to him, and rather it’s just an obstacle before he can put on a performance with the tightrope walker. I liked your comparison of Corrigan and Solomon, two men of the same background who lived such different lives.

#588
    adamtarsia
    Participant

I think this analysis was really spot on. I noticed the contrast between Corrigan and Solomon as well, and was glad you pointed it out to juxtapose the two characters rightfully. I like to see Solomon, as you do, as a parody of the justice system as a whole. Wee spend the majority of the novel inside of the heads of others who all have experienced pain for others, whether that be Tillie’s pain for her daughter, Corrigan’s pain for the less fortunate, or even Ciaran for Lara. I believe that the author draws detail to Solomon’s lack of empathy purposely, and depicts the least amount of struggle in his life as a young man to illustrate the irony of how decisions with the power to permanently change (or even end) the lives of the many are in the hands of one who is empathetically incompetent.

#589
    Kristen Aloysius
    Participant

Your reflection on what Solomon represents in Let the Great World Spin was really thought-provoking and it definitely made me reflect on how similar we can be to him. As you said, the disillusioned view of the justice system and world, in general, that Solomon has feeds back into the flawed perspectives we hold on to. The contrast between Corrigan, who actively tries to help and understand others, and Solomon is poignant in the novel. It is a reminder of how important it is to be open and “expand our worldview.”

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.