The Forgotten Saint

Arts in NYC Forums Let the Great World Spin The Forgotten Saint

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #516
    adamtarsia
    Participant

Ciaran once refers to an old parable, a saying in the Church he learned in college that refers to the fact that there are always thirty six hidden saints, all of them working humble jobs and all bearing the sorrows of the world. Each had a direct line of communication with God, save for one. This forgotten saint bore the same hardship and hurting as the rest of the saints, however they did not have the same line of communication with God that they needed. John Corrigan, in the story, is the embodiment of that saint. He lives a life of poverty, sharing the little he has completely with the open world. He feels and mends the pain of all the prostitutes that practically live with him, easing their loneliness, making them feel wanted and not asking what they can do for him, but what he can do for them. He drives senior citizens who verbally abuse him around to their leisure time. He brings the one that berates him the worst to his apartment late at night for private time with prostitutes. Ciaran, at first, does not understand why John would burden himself with, or much less want these people’s pain. Ciaran resents him slightly for it, however, he later grows to understand that it is not John’s choice. Consciously or unconsciously, John feels responsibility to bear the burden of the pain of the world. Even when his line of communication with God is lost, as he is succumbing to his disease and temptation, John looks out for Jazzlyn and Tillie among others.

This refusal to give up and turn his back on those he has lifted up is the true measure of his faith and dedication to God, regardless of what his surface level struggle with God may seem like. John becomes a true saint when he is martyred. He didn’t need to be with Jazzlyn driving her back home to her children, but he felt that it was his holy duty to carry out. A martyr is someone who dies for their beliefs, and John did exactly that. Even before his death, Ciaran places emphasis on the newly apparent bald spot on John’s head. That imagery alludes to classical depictions of saints and apostles found in stained glass church windows. Colum McCann leaves ample evidence for the audience to infer that John, in fact, was the “forgotten saint” aforementioned.

#553
    annakaur
    Participant

While I read the book, I only picked up on a few biblical allusions that were scattered throughout the novel, but after reading your analysis of Corrigan, I realize that there were so many more than I thought. I especially enjoyed the part in the book when Ciaran relates Corrigan to the story of the forgotten saint, as it fits him perfectly. Corrigan kept his pain to himself, even though he had so many people around him who cared for him and would be willing to listen to him. He was so selfless to the point where he didn’t want to burden anyone with his personal struggles. I do agree with your idea that Corrigan was ultimately a martyr; in his last moments, he was still performing a selfless act: going out of his way to pick up Jazzlyn. He believed in taking others’ pain away, and by being with Jazzlyn in her final moments, I feel like he helped ease her pain, as well. Lastly, I enjoyed how you made a connection between Corrigan’s bald spot and saints; I didn’t pick up on this at first, but after hearing your reasoning, I doubt it was just coincidence. Overall, I appreciate your analysis of Corrigan as the Forgotten Saint as it helped me to look at the book from a more biblical perspective.

#565
    Cristian Statescu
    Participant

I didn’t know about that last biblical allusion with Corrigan balding and beginning to have the same bald spot that other saints in stained glass or paintings have. As you said, Corrigan really is such a sacrificial figure, or a martyr. He helps so many people just for the sake of helping them, and eventually ends up dying helping someone (Jazzlyn). He doesn’t even get rewarded for helping them, instead he gets belittled, beaten, or even sometimes nothing, which is the best reward he could get. The only thing he gets out of doing what he does is making people’s lives better. I mentioned this in my post too, that despite not even having much he gives whatever he can just to help others. I completely agree with you that the author made the story so that Corrigan was the “forgotten saint”. Overall, I really liked that you pointed out bald spot Corrigan began to form and how it was similar to that of other saints, and how it all ties up to him being the “forgotten saint”. Had it not been for this post, I wouldn’t have noticed this important detail and allusion.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.