Saint of Slums

Arts in NYC Forums Let the Great World Spin Saint of Slums

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #527
    Liam Lynch
    Participant

Corrigan is in a way very similar to the hookers in the way that his brother once describes them: they are somewhat alien, inhuman. He is faith embodied; a universal concept manifested at such an extreme that it is almost detached. Corrigan is unrelatable in the sense that he is a messianic figure: an ideal which is in many ways unattainable to us. And yet, he is also, on the opposite pole, so extremely dirty in the same way that the hookers are. But this is what allows him to be messianic, Christ-like; he embodies what he preaches. It is very similar to the path that Van Gogh took before painting – he was a priest in the slums of the coal mining towns in France, the bottom of the bottom in terms of human life and the pains that are possible. Both characters became one with those whom they wished to help, but it was also too much for them.
    Interesting also is the fact that Corrigan’s conflict, while so extreme in how it exists physically, is more of an internal conflict. His faith is personal, and he does not necessarily align with religion and its traditional ideas of the church and living on earth for paradise. He is focused on the present and making this world around him a better place: this is not a means to reach paradise, but rather both the means and the end. But he is forced to decide between this mission and love for another person, and he struggles. His brother helps him begin reckoning, but before he makes a decision, he leaves the earth. Again, while Corrigan is such an extreme, I would say that he is relatable in his struggle of faith – faith not necessarily in a religious context.
    In terms of New York and the other aspects of the story, they are what related me to it from the beginning. My family is from Ireland but generations ago, and it has always been a mystery to me their story. The story of their mother and their past was also very relatable, and the impact that it had on their lives as they aged. The story is also extremely interesting in the same way Smoke was: it tells a specific story in a specific part of New York at a specific time, one that is very different from my own story now, and yet I feel a strong connection to it.

#564
    alexander
    Participant

Indeed, Corrigan was as close to Christ as any human could be. Nearly endless faith and devotion to his set of beliefs, just nearly. Part of what made him believable are his faults, limited as they may be. His empathy for others seems to be as vast as our ocean, but when it comes to his father it hits a dry spot. An individual who’s hurt him worse than any pimp’s fist, an absentee father. Even Corian takes comfort in John’s spite for his father, going as far as to justify his absence in his funeral. That being said Corrigan is still a saintly being and thank you for blessing us with that amazing title.

#583
    Katherine Hunt
    Participant

I really liked your link between Van Gogh and Corrigan – that is a really cool fact. I had seen Corrigan as a character that was so far above everyone else in society due to his strong inclination to help others and he was the “saint” that the characters needed. I didn’t really see him as “dirty” because I felt that he stooped down to the level of the hookers and those he was helping, rather than live at the same status. His struggle was definitely internal, and it was surprising to me that the reader was able to gain so much insight into him as a character because it wasn’t him that was narrating his story.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.