A New Perspective on Life and Photography

Arts in NYC Forums M.P. Photography – Hamilton Heights A New Perspective on Life and Photography

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jane Ekhtman
    Participant

Michael was a very insightful guest who obviously has a lot of wisdom about both life and photography. Although I am not someone who is planning to go into art or music or photography, it fascinates me immensely and I love hearing about how people in that industry live and work. I think the question about doing work for exposure versus for money led to an interesting response from Michael. I thought his narrative about volunteering to photograph for the Red Book Series as more of a passion project, and then getting a real gig from the museum was a good example of how following your passion can lead to bigger, better things for you.

When I looked at Michael’s Instagram, what stood out was how many of his shots, especially of the theater and dance, were very dramatic and featured people in action. However, so many more of his photos were of still life and nature. I wondered what the difference in Michael’s approach was for taking those photos. Michael’s answer was thought-provoking in the he talked about the importance of the approach, and how each photo turns out so differently based on the approach one takes. Michael talked about liking to take time with photos, which is more possible with static images, whereas action shots are very spontaneous. I really felt that when I was looking through Michael’s photos, just how spur of the moment the action shots were and seeing the joy and emotion on his subjects’ faces.

Another phrase that Michael mentioned stuck out– the idea that the camera on an iPhone makes 90% of the choices for you. Recently, I’ve been wanting to get outside more and take photos of my neighborhood and surroundings, but I don’t have a camera. Michael said that the iPhone camera is great, but that more professional work really needs one to understand light and composition and so on. Still, I have hope that I can take some nice photos with just an iPhone.

Thank you to our guest!

coryweng
    Participant

Jane, the last part of your post I can also relate to. This part also stood out during Michael’s visit. I definitely agree with Michael that sometimes, iPhone is hindering one’s photography skill, (though I do have to say, iPhones today do take amazing photos with great quality) because it doesn’t give the person to explore the different options, experiment around as much as if they had a professional camera. Learning to adjust the lighting, and the various settings on a camera is very important and this is something I definitely need to learn, since I am interested in photography. After all, photography is a form of art, and as an artist, there is so many choices you need to make, and part of a photographer’s choices is the lighting, composition, perspective, and all these various settings.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.