Born to be Famous

Arts in NYC Forums Man on Wire Born to be Famous

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    annakaur
    Participant

If I learned anything from the Man on Wire documentary, it’s that Philippe Petit’s story is remarkably unbelievable. From early on in his life, it was evident that Petit knew he had an intense passion to be an artist. His story is so unreal and hard to accept for me–not because I think he couldn’t accomplish such achievements, but because of how courageous he is. When I think of Petit, I’m reminded of all the dreams I never chased after because I lacked the confidence. Petit is a go-getter. My favorite part in the documentary is when Petit described his visit to the dentist’s office following a bad toothache. As he waited in for his turn, he saw a newspaper describing the construction of the Twin Towers. Something fascinated him about them not even being standing structures yet, but knowing that they will one day be the tallest in the world. From that very moment, he knew he would one day walk across those towers. Overcome with passion, he tears the page from the newspaper and runs out of the dentist’s office. He recalls that he did, in fact, have a toothache for about a week, but what does that matter now knowing he has accomplished his dream? This story was especially inspiring to me, and I found it rather profound; it was a scene straight out of a movie. I believe that people like Petit are simply born to be famous–the protagonists, the main characters, the winners. Even the people around him saw this quality in Petit. I found it so interesting how he convinced so many people to take part in his master plan, though it was clearly illegal. It just proves that Petit had an immeasurable amount of charisma that continues to inspire people everyday and everywhere.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.