Corrigan and His Light

Arts in NYC Forums Let the Great World Spin Corrigan and His Light

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kristen Aloysius
    Participant

In his novel Let the Great World Spin, Colum McCann creates a narrative through the lives of New Yorkers connected by loss, light, and the thrill of a man walking on a tightrope from the World Trade Center. Each character’s experiences spark questions about and attempt explanations of human nature. One such character is Corrigan who, as an embodiment of light, gives rise to dissenting views on the nature of faith and humanity. Corrigan’s internal conflict with his faith was interesting because it reflects our struggles with individual morals and values as a society and is left largely open-ended. While Corrigan’s devotion to God made him a “mad, impossible angel” to many, the guilt he felt for falling in love with Adelita consumed him (18). His faith became a “torture shop for him” as “what he really wanted was to be ordinary” (67). Throughout the novel, Corrigan is portrayed as a figure similar to Jesus Christ in Christianity. He is an ordinary man who tries to be a light in the world. However, within the limits of his devotion to God and his view of faith, he feels that he shouldn’t experience some of the joys of human life like love. This raises the question of whether it’s possible to be a light and an ordinary person simultaneously. Corrigan’s struggle also brings forth Ciaran’s concern that Corrigan may “welcome the complications” and “needs them to survive” which pushes us to reflect on the sets of rules and morals we choose to live by (67). Our influence over our perceptions of humanity and faith are also presented in the ambiguity of Corrigan’s character. Since Corrigan’s story is told through the perspectives of other characters, we never really get to see life through his point of view which makes his character even more intriguing and complex. The characters’ opinions on light serve as a commentary on Corrigan’s initial approach to life as a provider and explorer of this light through kindness and hope. For example, the young photographer Fernando Marcano stated that light “makes people see differently” and we should “look on the world with a shine like no one else has” (173). On the other hand, towards the end of the novel, Tillie says she “shoulda swallowed a pair of handcuffs to give Jazzlyn a heads-up about what was coming her way” after generations of oppression (219). Light doesn’t exist in this situation and it’s “nothing more than a glow at the end of a streetlamp” (235). The way Corrigan’s story is presented through multiple perspectives helps us examine the layers of his ideal vision and hope for the world—-perhaps light doesn’t exist and shouldn’t be found if it can’t exist for everyone.
    I found Corrigan’s story and character very interesting because of the complexity of his internal conflicts as represented through many points of view.

Katherine Hunt
    Participant

I also found the difference between Corrigan’s faith and his actions to be quite interesting. I definitely agree with calling him a “mad, impossible angel” because he truly wanted to help others as much as he could. He never made life easy for himself because he was constantly seeking to better the lives of others. In the eyes of someone who practiced the same religion that Corrigan belonged to, I am certain that they would have looked down upon him. While Corrigan seemed to hold very strong ties to his religion, he did break what I would say was his most physical vow to it – his celibacy. Corrigan represents the paradox of the book – whether you can remain religiously faithful while still helping all members of society and being considered an “ordinary person”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.