DO EVERYTHING FOR YOURSELF

Arts in NYC Forums U.R. Sculpture – Into Her Own DO EVERYTHING FOR YOURSELF

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Liam Lynch
    Participant

That/s the practical meaning that I got from Ursula’s visit. This is the necessity for art, as inauthenticity is unsustainable. There are always phonies and charlatans, but I think they always get weeded out ithe end, and those who are remembered are those who created for themselves. We see this throughout art history, as where many classical artists were commissioned to create something specific, they never failed to defy those who paid them in order to achieve their personal vision. Similarly, many of the most celebrated artists are those who died without acclaim because they simply didn’t conform — Van Gogh was too rough for the romantics, and too bright for the impressionists, and yet he is now one of the most famous artists. But who’s to say that acclaim determines success? If you create for yourself, no matter the result, I think there’s always some sense of satisfaction unachievable for a faker. Ursula’s art is genuine, and you could tell in the way she talked about it that each piece satisfied some hunger that lead her to create it.

This applies to life more generally. Wherever you have the opportunity, it is important to do what you want with your life. This sounds selfish, as is the criticism of artists, but it really isn’t because the only way you can contribute to the world to the fullest of your potential is by doing something you want to do — and for some people this is helping others. The human spirit always craves, and even if it isn’t always clear for what, the only way you can be useful is by trying to satisfy it.

Kristen Aloysius
    Participant

I completely agree and, as you said, I think Ursula’s artwork is representative of what it truly means to be genuine and create art that you want to create. There are no criteria for beauty or art and Ursula embodies this through her unrestricted and limitless work. She follows her vision no matter where or what medium it brings her to and, as a result, is able to sustain her passion through this freedom. As you said, in a larger context, satisfying the human spirit is essential in keeping the world spinning. Doing what we want or need to do allows us to contribute to society and could, in itself, be our contribution to the world around us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.