Exchanges of Humanity (Transactions, Paternity, Morality, Trauma)

Arts in NYC Forums Smoke Exchanges of Humanity (Transactions, Paternity, Morality, Trauma)

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #234
    Jane Ekhtman
    Participant

I would best describe “Smoke” as a movie depicting mundane exchanges of humanity. Throughout, it feels like something is being passed between all the characters. First, Thomas comes into the possession of $5000 by stealing it from thieves and decides he won’t give it back, shifting the balance negatively. Naturally, Thomas is then responsible for $5000 in losses for Auggie, and solves his moral dilemma by giving away the money. Auggie, however, is also at a crossroads, and gives the money to Ruby, who will use it for their daughter. Although these characters come from different races and/or socioeconomic backgrounds, the money passed between them serves as an invisible link, inter-connecting their stories and showing the surprisingly moral decision-making of New Yorkers.

Good deeds spread like a chain reaction, from Thomas saving Paul’s life, to Paul mentoring Thomas, to Thomas paying back Auggie, to Auggie spending Christmas with grandma Ethel. And to even further create cohesion, both Ethel and Thomas are from the projects in Boerum Hill. At the same time, interactions are very transactional, where both characters tend to gain and lose something. For instance, Auggie brings Ethel joy, but he also lies to her and then steals a camera. Or Paul houses Thomas and mentors him, but also gets beat up by the thieves Thomas stole from. And Thomas both gains and loses $5000, and both receives physical violence and causes it for Paul.

I also noticed a recurring theme of trauma; Paul cries after seeing pregnant Ellen in Auggie’s photos, Auggie remembers his toxic relationship with Ruby, and Cyrus loses his arm and his love. This makes the characters seem even more three-dimensional, giving them opportunities to deal with past trauma. The theme of paternity, or lack thereof, is shown through relationships between Auggie and his daughter, Cyrus and Thomas, and Paul and Thomas. The story Paul tells Thomas about being older than your father was very moving, and they embodied that by telling April that Thomas is Paul’s father. The mentor/mentee role between those two seems to switch a lot, where they learn from each other and take care of each other. For instance, Thomas allows Paul to become the paternal figure he could never be, and also tells him to cut down on smoking.

Smoking and smoke itself was a big visual motif, making an appearance in tense and happy times alike. Even after Cyrus learns that Thomas is his son, the awkward and silent dinner table ice breaker is a cigar. Overall, the movie serves as a complex depiction of human relationships, which Auggie reminds us of when he tells us to slow down and enjoy the ruminating tone. (445 words).

#276
    annakaur
    Participant

I strongly agree that Smoke depicts “mundane exchanges of humanity”. When I finished watching the film, the first thing that came to mind while reflecting on it was how many exchanges there were throughout the film—regardless of whether they were positive or negative exchanges. I also think your word choice was very efficient, as mundane is a perfect way to describe these said exchanges. They’re nothing out of the ordinary, but they are unique. From each exchange, something is learned; it doesn’t matter how dull they is. I also love how you brought up the idea of a chain reaction; I kept this in mind throughout the movie, as well. As you mentioned, regardless of their socioeconomic status or backgrounds, whatever exchanges they made led to a chain reaction of even more exchanges or events. I appreciate your connection of these exchanges to a balance; some exchanges were positive, but some were negative. Your emphasis on the trauma or the characters allowing them to seem more life-like was also something I think is very accurate. We all experience bad times, and that’s what makes us human. Lastly, I agree with your idea of smoking evidently being a motif throughout the film. In almost every scene, someone was lighting a cigarette or grasping a cigar between their lips; this tied the characters together subtly yet efficiently.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.