Grandiose and Awe Instilling

Arts in NYC Forums U.R. Sculpture – Into Her Own Grandiose and Awe Instilling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jane Ekhtman
    Participant

Ursula is such a powerhouse artist and I still can’t believe we got to speak to her. I’ve passed by her work near Barclay’s Center so many times and acknowledged it, but I never thought that I’d get to hear from the artist herself. It just goes to show how many connections we make in NYC without even realizing it.
    You can tell from how Ursula carries herself both in the documentary and in our Zoom that she’s sure of herself as an artist and doesn’t need to justify why she makes certain artistic choices.
    I even loved her touching on feminism. Her art is not necessarily classified as feminist art, yet she is someone who works with such heavy materials on such a large scale. Grandiose art has long been missing the representation of female artists. I was greatly reminded of Monika’s musings on the scale of ecofeminist art, with the picture of the huge chunk of land that was damaged due to a man’s art versus the eco-feminist art of many women. In a way, Ursula blurs that barrier that Monika mentioned. In addition, Ursula’s inspiration is Mother Nature, playing on the deep connection between women and nature in art. The overlap between these two speakers is great.
    I also wanted to comment on the artistry of the documentary. I don’t watch a lot of them, but this one was very engaging and it’s true that every minute was entertaining and taught me about Ursula. The narration wasn’t overwhelming, but rather aided the story. I appreciated it a lot, and it was an educational introduction to our artist.
    Many thanks to her for coming!

Javier Jbara
    Participant

Hi Jane, I certainly agree with you that Ursula was confident in herself as an artist. In the documentary and in her time as a guest speaker, she spoke to the point. While she gave insightful answers, she didn’t talk verbosely, even though her art certainly displayed her genius level abilities. It is a sign of a humble personality to not put herself above her art. This straightfoward approach is displayed through her work ethic, as without this she would not be able to complete her works that are characteristically large-scale and detailed. People who are not artists tend to have a perception that artists are troubled geniuses, who rely on bouts of inspiration and high-minded philosophy to create their great works. In reality, the most integral part of being an artist is consistently fine-tuning your craft in a regular routine.

Zara McPartland
    Participant

Ursula’s presence is certainly powerful; she spoke with an air of confidence and ease that truly resonated with me. She has experienced so many facets of life and it was incredible to hear about her development as an artist. Ursula’s integration of art and nature is unique and you can just tell that her connection to artistry is enduring. The massive artworks Ursula produces reflect her grounded character; her desire to be independent and grow as an individual persisted no matter what tribulations she faced, just as her sculptures will remain sturdy against harsh winds. Her sculptures stand tall alongside her, equally strong and immutable. The scale and intricacy of Ursula’s sculptures fascinated me and her dedication is evident with each and every block of wood . Additionally, I admire her skills both a leader and a team player. Her work ethic and ability to direct a team through the construction of something as personal as art work is impressive. She orchestrates sophisticated manipulations of materials and team members to mirror her vision; I cannot imagine trying to carry this out myself. Ursula is an exceptional artist, and I find myself agreeing with both of your comments!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.