Secrets and Deeper Meanings

Arts in NYC Forums Smoke Secrets and Deeper Meanings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #250
    Leonidas Kalpaxis
    Participant

A big theme in the movie “Smoke” is that of deeper meanings and secrets that are not clear upon first glance. Such meanings and secrets are revealed after taking time to more closely inspect a person or scene. For example, Auggie explains to Paul that everyone sees him as simply a smoke shop sales person. However, Auggie reminds Paul that he is not just that – he is a person himself, with a history, hopes, dreams, and hobbies (specifically Auggie’s passion for photography). Later on, when Auggie shows Paul his photo album, he suggests Paul takes more time to appreciate each picture. While on the surface, they might appear nearly identical, looking closely shows that each snapshot is unique. This idea is very representative of the people in New York City as a whole. When you are on the subway, for instance, your passing glances just reveal a sea of “New Yorkers” – just more pictures in an album. Really though, each person is indeed unique and surface similarity can quickly fall away to reveal great diversity. Furthermore, when Cyrus first sees Rashid, it’s hard for him to see Rashid as anything but a punk kid who is up to no good. When events run their course, Cyrus actually befriends Rashid, demonstrating again the idea of people being more than just how they appear. Cyrus’ hook arm is yet another example of objects having a deeper meaning. What might just appear as an ugly mechanical limb replacement is in fact a deeply personal symbol to Cyrus of his past mistakes, and undoubtedly a constant reminder to him and his character to, as Rashid puts it “mend [his] ways.” A final example of this theme of discovery of uniqueness is seen during Auggie’s Christmas story. As Auggie runs after the teenage robber, he is set on catching the thief. But, when he stumbles upon the dropped wallet, and examines is closely, he is introduced to the story of this poor Brooklyn kid. Auggie is most likely feeling pity for the robber, something he would not be experiencing had he not spent the time to pick up the wallet and look inside. In the end, whether a person or object, “Smoke” shows that there are meanings and stories contained all over, and a few moments can change you greatly, should you take the time to look closely.

Word Count: 395

#275
    annakaur
    Participant

I appreciate your emphasis on the deeper analysis of things that could be easily overlooked. I agree that throughout the film there were many times that I quickly glanced over certain scenes and did not make anything out of them. However, after completing the film, I had time to reflect on the movie in its entirety; this really guided me in discovering the “secrets and deeper meanings”. I especially admire your comparison of riding the subway, surrounded by a sea of New Yorkers, and Auggie’s photo collection. They may be ordinary at first glance, but after a deeper reflection, you realize the true meaning of the strangers and the photos is that they all have their own unique story; the individuality of this city’s residents is what makes the diversity of New York so special. I also believe the analysis of Cyrus’s hook arm is extremely relevant to the idea of having our own secrets; He evidently regrets his past and his deformity is a constant reminder of his mistakes. Lastly, I think your last line is an inspiring way to look at life, and after having seen Smoke, I will be implementing this into my lifestyle.

#340
    coryweng
    Participant

Leonidas, I definitely agree with you, as I also wrote something similar to what you wrote. I definitely believe that it is so easy to overlook things in a bustling city filled with sea of people. As you eloquently stated, each person has a story, a history, a background, and that each person is different from another, just like each of Auggie’s photos are different from another. And it’s only when one person looks closely, takes the time to understand another person’s story, just like Paul spent time with Thomas, that he came to appreciate this other person.

#359
    elange
    Participant

While watching “Smoke”, I focused more on the relationships between the characters and how they showed growth. Because of this, I missed out on this great theme of individuality that you so very well expressed. I agree that a major point that the writers of “Smoke” were trying to show was the great diversity of New York City. Even in the tobacco products was individuality shown, as each character had their favorite nicotine delivering device (i.e. Paul with his natural tobacco leaf cigarettes, Auggie with his classic looking cigarettes, and Cyprus with his cigar-like product).

Thanks,
    Eric

#360
    adamtarsia
    Participant

This was a really good analysis, and I think you really hit the nail on the head as to the main theme of the movie. In the establishing shot as well as Auggie’s photo project and several examples you pointed out such as Cyrus’ hook, there is a persistent reminder that amongst the awesome, still backdrop of New York City, it is truly the minute movements and differences that tell the most vivid stories. I appreciate that you were able to identify so many points where your theme is prevalent, it really speaks to your analysis skills.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.