Strength and Delicacy

Arts in NYC Forums U.R. Sculpture – Into Her Own Strength and Delicacy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1529
    elange
    Participant

Switch it up and really enjoy every aspect of your life and work, two very real lessons expressed by the great artist Ursula Von Rydingsvard. In this time of great turbulence, both from quarantine and my own transition from high school to college, I have not been able to take these lessons as much as I should be.
    I’ve recently been having trouble enjoying some of my common hobbies, mostly because of routine. Even the most fun hobby to me of making music has been sort of a drag lately because I have been failing to switch it up. After attending Von Rydingsvard’s speech, I realised that small things should always be shifting. One should always keep it interesting and new. I quite appreciated when Von Rydingsvard talked about her own struggles through “art block”, showing that something as small as a change of building material or different working space can affect your mood and enable you to enjoy your work again.
    The pieces she showed were extremely beautiful and unlike any I had seen before. Her specific style of using cedar through layering planks was unknown to me before and is utterly captivating. The soft yet strong and towering sculptures of cedar are some of my favorite things I have seen in a long time. It is also astounding how she is able to make her pieces look so natural. Especially with the cedar sculptures, it feels as if the pieces are growing and moving, breathing almost. They capture the same energy as living trees, both seeming to grow an inch or two without you knowing. However, her work with bronze is also quite beautiful, with Bronze Bowl with Lace being my personal favorite. The way it is both solid and strong yet drifts away into the wind is quite cool.
    Thank you so much to Mrs. Von Rydingsvard for coming!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.