The Prevalence of the Motif of Cars and Other Forms of Transportation

Arts in NYC Forums Smoke The Prevalence of the Motif of Cars and Other Forms of Transportation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Katherine Hunt
    Participant

While smoking, cigars, and cigarettes are all a clear symbol throughout Smoke, my eyes and ears were drawn to another motif during the film – cars and other forms of transportation. For the most part, Smoke did not utilize a soundtrack which is why I particularly noticed the importance of noise when intense and possibly life altering events were occurring to the characters. When Auggie goes to meet his daughter (and future granddaughter), the conversation quickly escalates in intensity. Throughout the entire scene the screeching of a subway car in the distance can be heard, and as the daughter discusses the abortion she had a cop siren can be heard. The screeching resumes as the conversation-turned-argument comes to a close, and after Auggie and his old girlfriend depart the only sound left is the screeching of the subway car. This could be representative of a chapter of Auggie’s life coming to a close. It is pretty apparent that Auggie had little to no idea that this daughter was even his, but once he met her and realized that she wanted nothing to do with him, he could feel comfortable leaving his old girlfriend in the past. When “The Creeper” comes to Paul Benjamin’s house and “Rashid” sees the gun to Paul’s head through the window, the most prevalent noise is the sounds from the road, not what was going on in Paul’s apartment. This draws the viewer to really focus on Rashid’s response to the situation (or lack thereof), rather than what was actually happening in the apartment.

The presence of cars as a means to create a link between characters is another example of the car motif. “Rashid” would have never crossed paths with Paul Benjamin if he hadn’t saved him from the truck that was going to hit him. Rashid is also able to track down his father at a gas station that he owns, and in their first interaction he is sitting on a car. They seem to craft a deeper relationship when Cyrus tells him about the car crash he was in that killed the woman he was with at the time. It appears that Cyrus has still not processed the death of this woman, but we soon then meet his wife when she comes out of the car with what one can assume is the child that they have together.

The motif of cars and transportation creates a continuity between the characters of the film, and is also able to perpetuate the idea that while these life altering events may be happening to people at certain times, the world keeps moving around them no matter what.

441 words

Chris
    Participant

Your analysis of sounds, vehicles, and transportation was very intriguing to read. I didn’t really think about the relevance of background noises, but now that you bring it up, it is very fascinating to think about how they add dramatic effect and influence the atmosphere of a scene.

When experiencing major changes in life, the emotions felt are often jarring and impactful. While dramas and tragedies often use gunshots and rain to intensify the mood, I think it’s very fitting that Smoke uses subway screeches and vehicles. The subway connects people from across all five boroughs, just like how the film connects the narratives of five characters: Paul, Auggie, Rashid/Thomas, Ruby, and Cyrus. The sharp screech of subway cars can be felt across all five boroughs and is thus fitting in a film that connects five different lives.

Your thoughts on cars and trains also made me realize how the lives of the characters progress. At the start of the movie, not a single character is moving: Paul is still mourning his wife, Auggie doesn’t have an intimate partner/family to connect to, Rashid/Thomas rejects the people around him (probably because he fears they may abandon him like his parents), Ruby cannot connect with her daughter, and Cyrus lives with the guilt of killing his wife and child (until he meets Thomas). The transfer of money from one person to another provides opportunities for each person. Rashid originally believes the money will sustain his future until he learns otherwise by Paul. The money then goes to Auggie, who believes the money will give him all the reputation he ever wanted until he learns that Rashid’s sincerely and hope for redemption after ruining his Cuban cigars is worth more than credibility. The money then goes to Ruby, who hopes to use it to rehabilitate her daughter and reconnect with her. Additionally, the transfer of cigarettes is used to facilitate conversation between people. Paul and Auggie talk as he buys his daily two packs of cigarettes. Cyrus and Paul offer each other cigarettes while they sit in silence at the family picnic. Auggie smokes a cigar before he confronts Rashid about his blunder. The exchange of cigarettes is comparable to the exchange of dialogue between characters. As characters smoke cigars, the smoke from the cigars diffuses into the air and mixes with others’ smoke.

I don’t really have anything to say about your analysis of cars as a motif because I think it’s perfectly explained. While Cyrus’ experience with cars has robbed him of his connections with his wife and son, cars can also provide opportunities, as you explained with Rashid x Paul. Ruby also uses a car to bring Auggie to meet Felicity. Overall, I really enjoyed your analysis, and it made me really think about how sounds and motifs are used in other movies. I don’t really pay much attention to background music and sounds while watching movies, but your essay has convinced me to pay more attention to minute details.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.