Ursula’s Artistic Ability

Arts in NYC Forums U.R. Sculpture – Into Her Own Ursula’s Artistic Ability

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1510
    Cristian Statescu
    Participant

When talking with Ursula, I was intrigued by her art pieces. To be 100% honest, I never really thought of abstract pieces as art or anything special, but something about her work caught my eye. I asked her today how she even came up with these shapes, and was honestly not too surprised by her answer of “it just came as instinct” (or something among those lines, I don’t exactly remember it). Nonetheless, I’m not someone that really cares for abstract art, but I think what really appealed to me about her work was her use of cedar wood. Additionally, what I actually began to notice now after meeting with her is that with abstract art, you really can let your mind go with what you believe is really going on in the piece. For example, one of Ursula’s work called “Norduna II” really stood out to me. Although I don’t understand the name, the picture itself looks like almost a caricature of the geography of the United States (without Alaska) and Mexico (or possibly just Texas, I can’t tell). I urge you to check out this piece of hers let me know what you see. Additionally, regarding names, theres a piece that Ursula made called “Coś”, which, given my very slight understanding of Polish (and confirmation of my understanding from Google Translate…), literally means “something”. This piece really is just, for a lack of a better term, something. It’s simply a wooden pillar made from many slabs of Cedar and graphite. I have absolutely no clue what this piece is nor what it may represent. Perhaps it’s one of those things Ursula made from being angry? Given that she did say she found cutting the cedar to be a very stress and anger relieving activity. Either way, her artwork was very interesting (and rather confusing at times), and she was another wonderful guest with a lot to share. It’s clear why many people can appreciate her work given she made a guy that typically dislikes abstract art actually be intrigued by the work.

#1515
    coryweng
    Participant

Cristian, yeah, I relate to you in some ways too. I also never thought too much about abstract art and sometimes it is confusing and I don’t understand it to appreciate it. But there’s something about Ursula’s sculpture that is appealing. I’m not sure if it’s the pattern, or the way she arranges the wood, or just its monumental size. I’m also fascinated at her ability and instinct to come up with these shapes, especially when these structures are massive.

Wow, you googled the name of one of her works in Polish. Thank you for sharing with us what it meant. I think she was being serious when she mentioned that she wouldn’t give too much away about her artwork through her title. She definitely wants her audience to be free to interpret her abstract art, which may change based on different people, different experiences/contexts, different times.

#1517
    annakaur
    Participant

Cristian, I agree with you on the abstract art thing. I never really understood it, and, still, I struggle with finding a meaning. But that’s what I like about Ursula’s art. She says that her art is supposed to incite your own feelings and perspectives. Her art does not come with a set meaning; it is up to you to decipher for yourself what the meaning is or if there’s even a meaning at all. I like looking at art from this perspective because it allows me to think outside of the box and form my own ideas after drawing on the artist’s ideas. I think that’s what abstract art really is; there’s no meaning until we give it one.

Similarly, I liked her viewpoint on titling her art. I think it’s really cool how you went and researched more about her art and used your own understand of Polish to find that one of her artworks is titled “Something”. She said herself she doesn’t like to title things so they can potentially skew a viewer’s perspective, and, instead, she hides behind Polish titles. Well, even after translating her Polish titles, the artwork is still ambiguous to the viewer, as the title, “something” will not help us find any hidden meaning. Overall, this was a great analysis, and thank you for letting us know of the English translation.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.