Have you ever done something weird for the perfect picture? I certainly have, things like running across a busy intersection, posing in a crowded subway, and generally doing things that make strangers look at me weird. This past weekend I laid on the floor for all the right angles, and maybe for the experience.

It was about 10pm on a Sunday when in the spur of the moment me and my group of friends decided to head to the Oculus, an extremely white, marble PATH and subway station, built to replace the one destroyed in the 9/11 attacks. I had learned about the architect, Santiago Calatrava, in my Spanish class, where we talked about how Calatrava wanted his projects to have movement, using irregular shapes and sizes, and often the color white.

My friend talked about how often she just laid on the cold, marble floor of the Oculus, and how peaceful it was. So we decided to do it. All of us laid on the floor in the center of the structure, laughing and taking pictures. People looked at us oddly while one of us climbed up to the floor above to take pictures. Surrounded by the white marble and not caring about what people thought was one of the most freeing experiences.