Most people assume that being a true visual artist is being a master of ones field. That every single creation of a visual artist is a masterpiece. I disagree. Visual art is way to express oneself in a unique way, it is a way to share something only you perceive of the world. It is strange. It is creation of something new. Yet it is an imitation of things that influence us. Visual artists are not simply those who can draw, or copy an object. Visual artists see things differently and are able to convey it through their work. I was a visual artist. You were a visual artist. Maybe you still are. I may have a unique approach to dress design, but I’m not an artistic painter. Sure I can look at a piece of art and try to imitate it as well as I can and even If I learn different techniques that will not be true art. It lacks the imagination of someone who has no boundaries. A child. I believe that children are the true artists since there is no limit to their imagination, faith, sincerity, and genuineness.

“All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” – Pablo Picasso

Most people are embarrassed of their earliest works or treat them as a joke. So do I. I mean they are funny. They are imperfect. The lines aren’t as nice as I would want them to be. The proportions are way out of hand. My “people” look more like insects.

My “cat” is… I can’t even describe it. But the size and shape of this cat just adds meaning to it. The girl in the background juts stays there while all focus is on the cat. Perhaps it’s just what it is: my fascination with animals and lack of interest in humans, or maybe the cat is my source of protection and safety. Whatever it is It’s interesting to figure out what was going on in my mind when I was 4.

This other picture was the oldest one I have (from when I was 2.5 years old) my mom says its my first “successful” attempt at drawing humans… I guess I still see them as I did then: with tiny eyes paying little attention to their surroundings, with open mouths, talking all the time, and “Egyptian queen” style hand motions, which I guess represents everything that I find wrong with humanity (I hate myself too, so don’t take it personally humanity).

Another picture that seems to hold any meaning it is this one. I think it’s the 5 year old feminist in me expressing myself. The female stands out while the male just blends in with the background. Maybe it was just me being lazy, but the fact that I chose to color the girl hints at something for sure.

Lastly this picture on the right is an explanation to my years of trying diets and low self esteem. It’s my perception of beauty delivered by the media.

Alright, maybe you think this is all stupid and It was just me trying to copy other objects and failing and I guess there’s no proving you wrong. But even if you think analyzing your first attempts at drawing is pointless It can be a lot of fun. Try it and maybe you will see something beyond the messy lines and nonexistent proportions.

Well, If you don’t… being able to laugh at yourself is always a great skill to have. And If you’re not a fan of your first pictures you can feel pride in your most recent works. Thank you for your attention.