Going to the opera was a fun and new experience for me. The fountain glowed, shooting out streams of water. As we walked in, I first took notice in the grand staircase, covered in red carpeting. The chandeliers hung low on the high ceilings, glimmering in the lobby. There was even a bar for those who wanted to grab a drink before the performance. On both sides of the theater’s balcony were small tables for a more intimate viewing. We walked up to the family section and sat in our seats. Although cramped, the seats were lined with velvet and were fairly comfortable. Lights flashed, bells rang, and the chandeliers slowly rose up to unveil the stage. With the opera being three hours, I was thankful for the small screen in front of me that provided subtitles.

I’m glad our class got to watch Rent before seeing La Boheme. Watching the film helped me make connections when watching the opera, and understand certain scenes that didn’t translate well with the subtitles. I think Rent made the opera more personal because I was able to relate a bit more to having the scene set in the 90s, rather than the late 19th century. The storyline was also easier to understand, in my opinion, with Rent, because it wasn’t an opera. I didn’t have to rely solely on music to know what was going on. My favorite part of La Boheme was the ending, where Mimi is approaching death. The scene was extremely dramatic, and you could hear the passion and emotion in the singers’ voices. It was also the only scene where a line was spoken, instead of sung, when Mimi is thought to be dead the first time. The opera was also funnier than I expected. I didn’t think I’d be able to understand some of the humor, having it being sung, and also in Italian. Of course, there were some differences in the storyline between La Boheme and Rent. One main and obvious difference was the fact that Mimi did indeed die at the end of the opera, whereas in Rent, she wakes up and is seen to be alive.

Besides the lighting, everything about the performance was far from simple. The intricate backgrounds took 10 minutes to put up on display and the costumes were extremely detailed. I loved how the orchestra was also a main focus. The music, of course, was a big part in making the production so successful, and hearing the power of the music really influenced my thoughts on the opera.  Everything tied together so well which heightened my experience.

Overall, I really enjoyed the performance and I’m grateful that we got to see the performance as a class. I would like to see other operas in the future like, The Magic Flute and Carmen.