As I walked into the room, the things I immediately noticed were the plain turquoise walls and the clothing that directly contrasted the walls behind it. The sparkly, sequenced dress and the two jackets that were on display caught my attention almost instantly. I was at awe from all of the colors on the dress and the detail on it. I mean how could you not look at it and just stare. When the women who worked at the museum asked us all which items we thought portrayed the most power, I could not help but think that these three items of clothing are the true embodiment of the word “power.” The grandness and liveliness of the dress made me realize that someone with just as much vivacity must have been the one to wear it. Then I read the caption and saw that it was none other than the “Queen of Salsa,” Celia Cruz. Celia Cruz was an accomplished Cuban singer who first gained recognition as a member of the Cuban group, La Sonora Matancera. She is widely known for her Latin Music and was experienced with genres like guaguanco which is a sub genre of Cuban rumba. Once Cruz joined the Tito Puente Orchestra, she gained a wide-spread exposure. She received many Grammys and Latin Grammys throughout her lifetime and even earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Coming from a poor family and neighborhood, Celia Cruz is an inspiring icon and legend for people all over the world.

Another thing that I found very cool was the floor beneath us. When I looked down, I noticed a web diagram with white and black circles in different sizes on the wood. There were circles with the names of countries and extending from those circles were other smaller circles with the genres of Latin music and dance. The web showed which countries all of these dances and forms of music originated from. Some of these countries included Puerto Rico, Cuba, and United States. I found it very interesting how the web diagram extended throughout the space and length of the exhibition because it showed how vast and diverse Latin music and culture really is. I had not previously realized how many different types of Latin American dances there were!

Overall, I thought The Rhythm and Power exhibit was extremely educating because I was able to learn not only about the roots and the origins of salsa, but also about what was going on during the different time periods and how the influx of immigrants influenced the American culture as a whole. I think it is so beautiful to see how all cultures have different ways of expressing themselves through dances and music forms. While I enjoyed the other items in the exhibit such as listening to the rhythmic beats of salsa and looking at the records, album covers and percussion instruments, my favorite parts were most definitely the clothing that was being shown and the floor that we were walking on.