The articles we read before going to the gallery coupled with the photographs we saw at the Steven Kasher Gallery really made me think about how different people are treated throughout the world. While reading, I was more intrigued by Jill Freedman’s work, but after visiting the gallery, I was rather captivated by Debi Cornwall’s photographs.

Cornwall’s focus on the two extremely different sides of Guantanamo Bay is incredibly fascinating. The article we read by Jordan G. Teicher talked about how the U.S. military promotes this incredible image of the navy base as one that is essentially a seaside paradise with bowling alleys and beaches. Meanwhile, on the other side resides those who have been suspected of being terrorists; they are held without trial and are tortured. In the images attached directly below this paragraph, it is very obvious to see the differences in living conditions that these two types of people have.

As seen in the image on the left, the navy men have a gorgeous view of the fresh water, sturdy chairs and tables. Additionally, they have private swimming pool for themselves (not pictured). On the other side of Guantanamo Bay, however, is where the criminals dwell. Pictured on the right is a cage known as the “Recreation Pen,” according to the catalog at the Steven Kasher Gallery; it is implied that the suspected terrorists are tortured here. These images are two of Cornwall’s more expensive pieces in the gallery; the left currently goes for $3,400 while the right is listed at $4,000.

Also, another image that I observed in the gallery was of a small room containing nothing but a chair and shackles on the ground. This picture was labeled “Compliant Detainee Media Room.” In other words, this room is most likely another means in which the prisoners are tortured and possibly forced to watch certain things. The description is not detailed enough to know exactly what goes on in that room, but that is how I interpreted it!

Jill Freedman’s photography is different than Cornwall’s, but nonetheless very thought provoking. Her depiction of the Poor People’s Campaign was very powerful because of the large range of photographs she took. It is disgusting to see how colored and poor people suffered inequity, lack of opportunity, and insufficient wages in the 1960’s, as stated in the Vice article. Two of the images that stood out to me are shown below:

Depicted on the left is the Northeast Caravan marching through Philadelphia on the way to Washington. This image shows the resilience of these individuals to fight for what they believe in. The fact that Freedman was able to get so close up and take such high-quality images for this time is incredible. Shown on the right is an image of “Resurrection City,” a city in which the individuals of the Poor People’s Campaign came together and lived in small, wooden, tent-like homes. This was another way of proving that they were resilient and would not give up until treated more fairly.

Although the gallery was not too big, the pictures said well over a thousand words. Each image was incredibly fascinating and I am glad that I was able to observe them up close.