The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

September 2012
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

RSS New York Times Arts Section

“The Three Musicians” Review

When I went to visit the Museum of Modern Art this past Friday, I was surprised at how many paintings caught my eye and caused me to take a closer look at detail. I saw paintings by Pablo Piccasso, Edward Munch, Paul Cézanne, and other illustrious painters, but out of all these fine exhibits, there was one that really captivated my attention. “The Three Musicians” created by Fernand Léger and originally drawn in1924, depicts a trio of jazz musicians getting ready to perform. They are all dressed up in nice suits with fedora hats, and two of them are staring out into what I interpret to be a crowd while the lone performer behind them shields his eyes under his hat with a mischievous look on his face. When I first noticed the painting, I thought about how maybe the third performer was the “black sheep” in the trio, since he cannot show his face to the audience.  He might feel like he is placed in a lower class in regard to his talent or physical appearance, so he hides his face from the spectators who paid to watch him play because he cannot stand to be treated like a second-class performer.

Furthermore, I think the color scheme featured in Léger’s work is a true representation of the time period. The painting was produced at a time in France where there were many citizens (specifically young people) who were trying to eradicate all their perceptions of the world prior to World War I. All of society’s teachings about the world were proven to be false due to the many causalities and destruction from the war, and the mood in France (and America) was one of societal revolution and change. I believe this new attitude and uncertainty is seen with the red and yellow color combination in the background of the painting. I first interpreted the dark red at the bottom to symbolize all the bloodshed in the war. I think the fact that the red is placed at the bottom is significant because it conveys to the viewer that the war has concluded, and it is not the focus of the world anymore. Additionally, I think the golden yellow tinge at the top of the portrait is emblematic of how society is now confused about whether to stray away from societal standards on which it has always operated, or venture off towards “the sun” into a new mindset post WWI.

Overall, Léger’s painting, “The Three Musicians,” is a riveting piece of art when looked at without any medium. Between the physical looks seen on the musicians and the color coordination, I think Léger does a wonderful job in catching the viewer’s attention. I truly feel like it is one of the most interesting works I have ever seen, and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to go and witness it in person.

Write a comment