The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

October 2012
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Allen Ginsberg, “HOWL”

Here is the text of “HOWL”  (1955)

1. Comment from Andrew De Rosa      Reply
    Time October 18, 2012 at 3:20 am

I thought the way he read the poem really conveyed his message of how he wants people from all around the country (New York, New Jersey, Idaho, Oklahoma, and others) to participate in a counterculture movement to go against societal standards. His voice was full of passion and sort of exasperation because he sounds like he is so fed up with society that he is sort of pleading his case to people who may feel ostracized by the culture in America during the time period. I enjoyed it, and reading the poem definitely helped me understand its meaning better.

2. Comment from ryanmarkoe      Reply
    Time October 18, 2012 at 5:36 am

I agree with Andrew and the fact that they way Allen Ginsberg read his poem allowed him to convey his message to his listeners. His voice kept my attention and I enjoyed listening to the way he read the poem. I researched some background information on the poem and found out that the “who” stood for the “best minds” of Ginsberg’s life. He believed the “best minds” were not doctors or lawyers, but rather drug users, drop outs, musicians, poets, etc. I found that very interesting.

Write a comment