The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

October 2012
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Hip-Hop

“History of Rap 2 and 3”

During three guest visits on Jimmy Fallon’s late night show, Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon put together a three-part “History of Rap.” I thought about it today since, as Stephen and Andrew explained, the youth has not been exposed to many of the pioneers of hip-hop and rap. Very contemporary artists are included and, sorry Andrew, there is a short Nicki Minaj piece, however, it was interesting that Timberlake and Fallon put this together and included the artists that they did. Plus Jimmy’s band is The Roots. So check it out! These are parts 2 and 3 compiled into one video.

– Salma

1. Comment from Andrew De Rosa      Reply
    Time October 19, 2012 at 4:05 am

I like Nicki Minaj! haha I just think she and other hip hop artists can just use their influence to engage the youth of this country in important matters. But, then again, I was thinking about this on my way home, is it their responsibility to talk about society’s woes or is it their job to simply collaborate with producers, make interesting lyrics, and make money? Has the art of making music become one of solely reaping profits with no thought about the impact these artists’ lyrics have on these artists’ listeners? And then I thought, if these artists are revered so heavily in society, maybe they should at least make a conscientious effort to use their influence in a productive manner, since with the invention of YouTube and the Internet, they really are seen in the public eye by everybody at all times.

• Comment from smohamed7      Reply
      Time October 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Haha. You bring up a really interesting point (re: are hip-hop artists responsible for engaging the youth/general public in societal matters or are they simply musicians?). I think that because of the environment, or circumstances rather, that hip-hop emerged out of there is a requirement attached to hip-hop that it must address the issues not given enough attention – media or otherwise. I do not know if that is fair or not, but I personally hold hip-hop to this responsibility as well. Again, it is quite a fascinating ordeal. Hope you enjoyed the video and thanks for commenting, though!

2. Comment from profeversley      Reply
    Time October 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

This is so cool. Thanks for sharing and commenting!

• Comment from smohamed7      Reply
      Time October 25, 2012 at 4:50 am

Glad you liked the video Professor!

Write a comment