The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

October 2012
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Merchant’s House Museum Visit

This past Monday, I had to visit the Merchant’s House Museum on East 4th Street for my English class. The Merchant’s House Museum, built in 1832, is one of the oldest buildings still standing today in New York City. The house was occupied by a wealthy family named the Tredwells, who earned their riches by being successful merchants in New York. The entire property ranging from the garden to all five floors of the mansion is preserved and remains in tact through the generosity of various donors who pay for the upkeep. It is rumored to be haunted with the idea that the ghost of one of the Tredwells lingers over the soul of the house. After hearing this information, I was interested to see if I could notice any weird vibes in the estate.

While inside the house, I began to walk around and observe all the artifacts and tools people used in the 1800s. I like seeing all these old devices because I like to think how people in the twenty-first century would have a difficult time acclimating to a lifestyle with no technology. But anyway, the house featured an antique-looking fireplace with a wooden paddle, copper pans and plates, and ornate dressers that were made with  intricate designs and craftsmanship.Another part of the house I enjoyed seeing was the garden. The patio outside was outlined with shrubs and benches all along the perimeter, and it looked like a really relaxing place to go and unwind from a busy day. However, throughout the tour, there was one part that really caught my eye and took me aback. When I walked into one of the rooms on the fourth floor, I walked into a bedroom and saw a man who was embalmed lying in one of the beds. The man in the room was one of the eldest Tredwells, and he looked eerily alive. His facial hair was not touched, his hands were peacefully folded, and he maintained a smile on his face while lying under a golden blanket in a four-poster bed.

Though a bit creepy, I think the protection and safekeeping of the eldest Tredwell’s body is significant to the idea of class and art. In regards to class, I think the Tredwells’ wealth and power was illustrated not only by the physical appearance of their home, but by how the family took the time and effort to make sure this powerful man’s body was preserved and therefore “immortal” to the visitors of the museum. I think this idea contributes to the notion that the upper class back in the time period tried to make sure their legacies lived on forever, and the Tredwells really captured this idea in a physical sense.

Moreover, I got into a deep thought after my visit to the museum. The Tredwells’ house is where the family operated and lived every day in their lives. It is a place that has endured prosperity, as well as some hardship. What I began to think about is why the city of New York invests so much time and effort in conserving the Tredwell house as opposed to other families’ homes in the area during the time? Does their wealth automatically mean they led interesting lives, and does it also imply that people who did not have as much money sustained lives that were not as rich in value?

Overall, I enjoyed the trip to the Merchant’s House Museum because I was exposed to life in a whole other century, and I found it to be pretty cool. I would recommend it to anybody who is interested in learning about history or more specifically, the socioeconomic structure of the nineteenth century.

Write a comment