The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

November 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

I Don’t Even Think Salma Can Repudiate This…

I remember a few classes ago before the storm hit, we were talking about how it takes 10,000 hours to truly become successful at a certain endeavor in the arts or sports. I think it is safe to say this girl did not put in her 10,000 hours. I was thinking that maybe clips like these can sometimes be discouraging for those who try to make it in the industry. I mean, this girl who has minimal talent at best is getting all this infamy and notoriety, yet those who actually have somewhat decent skills in singing or dancing are being cast away for these gimmicks like Nicole Westbrook. I think the question now is: are producers and artists on the search for real, raw talent or are they only interested in promoting stupid songs so they can get some recognition, even though they are being shown in a negative light? Is the attention worth it if you are making mediocre songs?  Hope you enjoy!

1. Comment from Derick Liu      Reply
    Time November 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm

This is so bad, I can’t believe i watched the entire thing. It’s actually worse than Rebecca black. Also, the style of the music video reminds me of the music videos of the past american boy bands and the music videos Britney Spears used to make.
    exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4

Andrew you made me lose 4 minutes of my life T^T

2. Comment from Ben Chatham      Reply
    Time November 14, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I think it’s clear she didn’t put in her 10,000 hours because she sure as hell isn’t successful. It is definitely discouraging because you see hardworking artists who lack the connections and resources that Nicole Westbrook has. She probably got the money from her parents. I don’t know how many more “oh oh ohs”, “oh yeahs” and “oooooohs” I can take in pop songs. Also, she cannot rap. At all.

3. Comment from Derick Liu      Reply
    Time November 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

The problem is, that with youtube, it doesn’t matter if she sucks, horribly, because as long as she gets views she will likel get money and fame just like Rebecca Black did. In fact it is because it is so bad that it will get her what she wants, more and more people will hear of how bad it is and go to watch it. It’s a serious problem. I wish the actually talented singers on youtube who don’t have rich parents backing them would get as much fame as these ones do.
    Youtube and current forms of media are kinda ruining the entertainment industry precisely because it takes away the need to have those 10,000 hours.

Side note: OMG this girl thinks she’s boughetto, but she’s just a naive, superstar wanna-be, bougie girl

4. Comment from Nate      Reply
    Time November 14, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I strongly disliked Rebecca Black’s “It’s Friday” video but I would have to say that Rebecca is way better than Nicole and that’s really saying something. There is currently seven times more dislikes than there are likes on that video. She’s definitely infamous now-she’s up there with Rebecca Black. I think she may need to put in way more than 10,000 hours to become talented.

5. Comment from Jackie Lin      Reply
    Time November 15, 2012 at 12:02 am

Not to be a downer on your pessimism about the future of the music industry of whatever but in response to your question about whether or not it is worth it to make these songs, I feel like in a way it is worth it for the main character, which in this case is Nicole Westbrook. If the song was successful it would have been worth it for the girl because she would have had a god boost in self esteem and maybe could have even been motivated to work harder to become an actual singer. In this case, since the song wasn’t very great and is ridiculed by many people I think it was still worth producing because the girl will learn something from this potentially horrible experience. I understand that there are people that do have talent and big dreams that are being overlooked because of the attention this girl is getting but it is important to also understand that even untalented people have big dreams and just because this girl was financially able to achieve a part of that dream it doesn’t make her any less worthy getting attention, even if it is bad. I feel like the producers are doing a little bit of a service to these potential star wannabees by providing a means by which people can gain better access to their aspirations. Just like how Disney manufactures dreams for people, this production company is also manufacturing dreams for these kids. A lot of people believe that they are empty spoiled children so maybe it is good to have someone make a dream for them since they can’t really do it themselves.

6. Comment from Stephen Elliott      Reply
    Time November 15, 2012 at 3:08 am

It’s as if we’ve all never heard a bad song before. I don’t think this represents the future of the music industry but the afterbirth of commercialization’s blatant miscarriage of musical talent (how’s that for loaded). Obviously, in pursuit of quick cash, any industry will milk what they can from a fad. But lest we forget, music is now a business, a business which has millions invested and millions depending on its success for their livelihoods. But that’s nothing new. Have we forgotten about the awful music that came from the 80’s? Or the 90’s? Hell even most classic rock from the 70’s and 60’s was drowned in the mainstream and sounded like garbled drugged up nonsense. Musical talent is rare, but musical ability is common. The spotlight shines on those who yell most loudly, and unfortunately for our eardrums, we still listen in.

Might I add, this is on my list of things to destroy at some point in my life. Furby and My Little Pony are on there too.

Write a comment