The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

November 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Complexions

Sitting through Complexions was not only an eye-opening experience for me, it was one that encompassed all five of my senses-hearing an array of musical instruments and voices in various genres, seeing the most talented young performers move their elastic bodies in such an effortless way, smelling the sweat drip off their bodies (we had front row seats of course), and feeling the energy of the Joyce Theater-one of amazement, astonishment, confusion and complexity.

The Complexions performance can be summed up succinctly and concisely to COMPLEX. Multi-generational, multicultural, and filled with multimedia, this performance is a must see by all ages!

However, as I first got to my seat, I was a bit nervous for the show. The only other dance performance I’ve seen before was Alvin Alley and I hated that to say the least. Maybe it was partially due to the fact that I was young, or that I was seeing nude dancer with my mom that made me feel uncomfortable, but I remember counting down the minutes until the show’s completion. So sitting in the Joyce before the show began, I was disinterested constantly checking my phone, and sitting with my head up as the seats we had were so close. The opening scene was a disappointment. I disliked the music, disliked the dances, and thought this would be the start to a long night-one filled with movements I didn’t and could’nt understand for the life of me; one filled with boredom and disinterested.

Yet after the curtain came down and the lights dimmed once again, the show really began. The first act fooled me! The rest of the evening was nothing like it. Awards were given to major contributors of Complexions, applauses were loud and lively, and the energy of the room immediately changed. I shifted gears and turned on a positive attitude to the show and boy was I right for doing so.

The show consisted of short segments of different dances, performers and costumes and even some cool visual lights. The music in each piece was different, the costumes were all bright and catchy, and the dancers were the most talented people I’ve seen. What I loved most about the performance was the addition of the New Orleans dance group. The energy and loveliness they brought to the show from these young kids was so inspirational. They had moves and flexibilites as if they were professionals which was truly amazing

All in all, once the show began, I loved it. The intermission was necessary as the show was long and pretty stagnant however it was well worth it. I enjoyed watching different ages, genders and cultures comes together to produce a show filled with talent and creativity.

Write a comment