The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

November 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

Review of “The Piano Lesson”

Going to see “The Piano Lesson” this past Wednesday was definitely a decision I do not regret making. After reading the play, I envisioned each character to have a distinct personality and look based off how August Wilson portrayed his him/her in the play. For example, I imagined Doaker to be a wise old man, usually dressed in a robe that would represent his hardship and desire to rest after working for those extensive years. I imagined Boy Willie to be a rowdy, jock-like man who is eager to make something of himself, and I pictured Bernice to sort of resemble Thelma from the show, “Good Times.” I can certainly say that the cast of the play was reminiscent of the one I initially stirred up when I read it.  Boy Willie was the loud, determined soul who was trying to get by, Bernice was stubborn and deadest against selling the piano, Lymon was playful and observant, Doaker looked aged and worn, and Whining Boy was drunk. Reading the play enhanced the experience of seeing the production because it allowed me to have the images in my mind become a reality. Reading the play also helped me enjoy the play because the actors spoke quickly and sustained thick accents throughout. Sometimes it was difficult to register every word that was said, so having a prior understanding as to what was going to happen in each scene helped me understand the play better.

Furthermore, our seating in the theater contributed to my enjoyment of the play. For those who could not make it, we sat in the very last row of the theater. As opposed to the ballet where sitting in the front enabled us to notice all the intricate details of the dancers, being situated in the last row of the theater allowed us to survey the entire stage and scenery. And, the theater did a perfect job constructing Wilson’s vision of Doaker’s house. From the kitchen to Bernice’s bedroom on the second floor to the actual piano, the setting of the play was just as how I thought it would look. Being able to look at the entire stage really allowed us to ascertain a complete understanding of the play, and it improved our theater experience. Additionally, my favorite part of the play was when Doaker, Lymon, Boy Willie, and Whining Boy all sang at the kitchen table. When I read this part in the Wilson’s play, it was hard for me to conceptualize the emotion behind the lyrics of the song because it was just printed in a book I rented from the library. However, when I saw the look of suffering in the actors’ faces and their banging of the table when they sang, it shed light on the meaning of the song, and it allowed me to ascertain a better understanding of the struggle African Americans underwent in the early twentieth century.

Overall, going to see “The Piano Lesson” was awesome. The actual plot of the play and the characters’ dynamic acting abilities were amazing, and I am really happy I got to spend another fun night with my classmates.

Write a comment