The Arts in NYC Fall 2012

Join this site

If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Art Around the City

December 2012
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

RSS New York Times Arts Section

AIDA

Aida. Oh Aida.

I always thought that operas are just boring. So, I tried to think of ways to stay awake during Aida. Surprising, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe because I was already familiar with the Aida theme, I knew what kind of music they are going to play when Radames expresses his hope to be the captain and I recognized the jealousy theme, I sat there wide awake and excited.

However, by the second act, I became a little bored. It was different from what Jake showed us. Plus, it was not as dramatic as I expected it to be. So, I sat there only looking forward to the part when Aida’s father told her that she is no longer his daughter. I wanted to see all those emotions, but it was alright. Maybe because we are so far from the stage, nothing seemed to be that dramatic.

Honestly, I like Amneris a lot more than Aida. She deserves better. If the roles were switched as Amneris being Aida’s slave, I think Aida would have been the typical evil princess.

Thanks to Jake, I now know what recitative and aria are. I can now brag about it to my friends when we reunite at Christmas gathering. Overall, I am glad that I got a chance to experience the Opera. I would like to go opera again, but I probably won’t until I can afford the better seats.

Write a comment