GRiZ the Wiz

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure to see a DJ from Detroit perform at Terminal 5. His stage name is GRiZ. Unlike the rest of the people I’ve seen, what made GRiZ stand out was his saxophone playing skills. While he was up there on stage mixing, he was playing the saxophone at the same time. The sax is his secret weapon in standing out amongst the myriad of EDM artists popping up all over the nation.
Before going in, I did not know that he played the saxophone. When he took it out in the middle of his set, I was confused as to what he was going to do with it. Then right when he started to actually play the sax, I was blown away. The soothing, jazzy sounds of the sax complemented the hard beats of his electronic set. It was incredible that he was able to do such a thing. His saxophone playing was effortless, and his ability to switch back and forth without messing up made it even better.

2 thoughts on “GRiZ the Wiz

1. lubnarahmani

Wendy, I think that’s really awesome. Mixing and playing sax at the same time? Wow, that’s just insanity! I wish I could multitask like that. You’re absolutely right. Very few people have skills like that. For example, I can’t even draw and listen to music at the same time. Its even worse trying to cross the street and talk on the phone with somebody. You mentioned GRiZ is from Detroit, and that’s become such a popular place for artists now, especially those coming from rap and hip-hop background, like Eminem and MC Hush. I really enjoyed reading your post, and now I want to see this guy GRiZ perform too. Thank you for sharing.

2. Alec Nimaroff

Honestly Wendy, that seems like the concert was dope! Never heard of Griz and now I am completely blown away and jealous. Like you, I have also seen many Djs play live, and have I never seen anyone do anything like that. This shows the talent and abilities people hold today. It creates such a wide culture of music and entertainment, and especially is as a whole. It also shows how things are advancing. I’m definitely going to take the time to see the guy play being that he sounds pretty awesome. I hope you had the best time!