ICP Visit

On Tuesday, September 10, we went to visit the International Center of Photography. Two displays stuck with me in particular. One of them being the blown up pictures of iPad scans by Andrea Longacre-White. She scanned iPads and the light from the scanner would produce heat making the iPad respond thinking it is human touch. Her pictures of the scans depict the iPad glitch and trying to decide what it wants to open up. Also visible were the many fingerprints from everyday use on the screen of the tablet. The fingerprints showed intimacy of the owner and the iPad and this showed our increasing dependence on our digital tools.

The next piece was the diorama map of New York by Sohei Nishino. There were 10,000 images used to create the map. Nishino photographed and collaged the whole thing by hand. His diorama creations are his way to reminds us that human imagination is needed to create meaning out of accumulations of visual information. In an age where everything is handed to us, for instance Google maps, we need to remember that we still have our own imagination and creativity to build on.
I remember spending a long time looking at the map trying to figure out where everything was and how different it was from an actual map. It was intriguing to see my own city depicted in a different way.