MoMa: Isa Genzken

IMG_0294I

Isa Genzken, a female German artist, recently had her work on display at a exhibit at the MoMa. Because of Professor Eversley’s membership (thanks!), Jeong Woo and I were able to view her work in private setting.

The title of the exhibition was called “Retrospective”. This is entirely reflective of Genzken’s work which largely dealt with the post-war urban environment. The sculpture above was one of the most notable ones for me because of its simplicity and its position. On the outset, it can easily be dismissed as a couple of frames on top of each other, but in an architecture perspective, it reminded me of the the foundation or framework of a building. It made me think of Genzken’s view of rebuilding Germany after the World War II. The position of the work is also interesting. Professor Eversley had mentioned that the work must’ve been purposely put under the skylight to direct attention to the buildings outside. This reminded me of photography class where we learned about leading lines. Lines provide direction to the viewer; guiding them toward where to look. This sculpture guided the viewer to the skylight, and where the sculpture was the beginning of the making of a building, it directed us to look at the prominent skyscrapers outside. It’s a bright outlook when emerging from troubling times.

Overall, I felt like the exhibit was very interesting. Genzken’s later works were, understandably, less of of war and more about color and dioramas. Personally, I’ve always gravitated toward works that depicted a specific time period. I’ve always felt that those works were always rich with culture and history that may no longer be around.