Bio Blitz Reflection

Having just returned from the Bio Blitz this morning, I am pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the experience. I was placed in the bird group and our task was to walk through the botanical gardens observing the many species of birds and their behavior. When sighting a bird we identified its species using a birder’s journal and recorded its visual characteristics and actions. While I was hesitant at first to spend four hours of my morning bird watching, I found the activity to be rather calming. Walking through the forest trail and looking at the beautiful gardens was very enjoyable.

I found learning about the different species of birds interesting as well. Our guides were extremely knowledgeable and passionate about their field of study. One of our guides was very talented at making various birdcalls, and it was pretty fun, albeit embarrassing, to attempt to copy these noises while walking in the public gardens. As well as being entertaining, my Bio Blitz trip was educational. I learned to properly use a birder’s journal, and was able to identify and observe over 12 different species of birds in detail. By the end of the session, I was able to recognize certain species without the aid of the journal. More importantly, I was able to gain a greater appreciation for the diverse number of animal and plant species in New York City, something I confess I never gave much thought to before today. Because we live in such an urban environment, we tend to disassociate New York City from its various sources of natural beauty. After today’s Bio Blitz, I learned to do the opposite.