David Hadaller

For me, its hard to make an unbiased judgement of an event like BioBlitz; my belief in mankind’s collectivist ability to create meaningful work by joining together tempts me applaud the effort despite its clear shortcomings. However, the truth stands as it usually does, unwavering in the face of human yearning to the contrary.

From my experience in the event, it seems that Macaulay’s goals for the BioBlitz were three fold. Firstly, there is data acquisition. With more eyes out in the field, a greater number flora and fauna from New York City’s last remaining old growth forest can be catalogued in less time. Secondly is cross-campus socialization. Most students, due to the distance between CUNY campuses, would otherwise not have much opportunity to meet with their Macaulay counterparts in other colleges. Thirdly (and lastly), is perspective. Since the MHC seminars are geared to expose students to ideas they might not have otherwise considered, it makes sense that the events leading up to the seminars have a similar purpose. With these goals outlined, we can delve deeper and discuss the efficacy of Macaulay’s efforts in attaining them.

The accuracy of the data acquired presents a huge issue, not only because it is the purpose of BioBlitz, but because it supplies students with directive. If it appears to the students that the data they are acquiring is of little use, then the whole Bioblitz experience can easily be discounted as a waste of the student’s time and Macaulay money. Many of the students returning from Bioblitz can recount how their group might have eschewed the data by observing birds in too close a proximity to other bird-watching groups, not recording sightings properly (or at all) through the iNaturalist App, or making a false identifications. These same students will also retain a neutral to negative view of the event.

Of course, the unreliability of the data is expected to a degree, since these are students who have never been trained in the best practices of scientific fieldwork. One way to improve identification could be to print pamphlets for each of the groups so that when they spot something, they can easily compare what they see to a photo and description in the pamphlet. Perhaps the data could also be salvaged by various statistical assumptions or the wisdom of the crowd effect, but if those practices are put into place, students should be made aware of them so that they know their efforts aren’t wasted even if they make mistakes.

Cross campus communication is important; Macaulay’s graduating class is small as it is and the fact that it is fragmented across 8 CUNY campuses only adds to the difficulty of creating and maintaining networks of friends within Macaulay. For many, the Macaulay events are the only opportunities to meet Macaulay Scholars outside their own campus. For this reason, it is important that the Macaulay staff structure events such that students are more apt to collaborate and communicate with each other. Perhaps framing the Bioblitz as a challenge with a substantial reward at the end of the experience could cajole students into conversation as they move together toward their shared goal.

How students gain perspective is a difficult thing to quantify and therefore it is difficult to optimize. For me, the perspective I gained from BioBlitz came about from my own thoughts. The professors officiating the proceeding did not present me with any insightful ideas about nature or science. I found it very interesting that there were certain species of animal still thriving within minutes of one of the most built up urban environments on the planet, and not only that, but many of these animals go about their days without ever being seen by humans. It is almost as if a wild parallel world exists along side our own populated by white-footed mice, snapping turtles coy wolves and the like. However, I would have liked to know more about how the professors leading us thought about science and the natural world and I could easily see how a student who was not so fascinated by the way these creatures live out their lives, could miss out on the learning experience at hand. What could solve this dilemma is the addition of a thematic element to the BioBlitz proceedings. The professors leading the BioBlitz could be instructed to reflect on their studies, science and the natural world so that they can speak their views and allow the students to benefit from a new perspective.

I applaud Macaulay’s administrative staff for accomplishing the logistical challenge BioBlitz poses year in and year out. Organizing such an event that involves so many students, professors and organizations must take extreme administrative competence. The event itself holds quite a bit of promise for the future, but it certainly needs improvement. As it stands now, BioBlitz gets mixed reviews from students; some absolutely love BioBlitz, while others lack enthusiasm for it. The good news is that engaging students is not terribly difficult if you ask them how they’d like to be engaged and put their ideas into practice.