Presentation

On a separate note, here is one of the examples I wasn’t able to show in my presentation last Friday due to time restraints. Throughout his life, Frank Sinatra spoke out against bigotry and campaigned for civil rights. The example I have is a short film from 1945 called “The House I Live In.” It won a special Oscar that year for its humanitarian message, and while the film may be corny and hokey by today’s standards, the song still portrays the same message it did 68 years ago (It is also on the list of the National Film Registry and is preserved in the Library Of Congress.) Coincidentally I happen to have the original recording of this song on a 78″ rpm vinyl. I chose this because, since New York has been the most diverse city in North America for cenuries (dating back to it being a Dutch colony) this film must’ve had a huge impact here. It was in New York where the first integrated baseball team appeared, the Harlem Renaissance occured here, and the great Tin Pan Alley song writers (the majority of whom happened to be Jewish) that wrote the great songs and broadway plays of the 20th century lived here as well. And so I felt this film portrayed greatly the diversity of the culture of NYC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhPwtnGviyg