My Thoughts on Jenny West

I was immediately interested in Jenny West once I heard about her background. She is a musician and an actress who has recently been creating visual art. It is always great to hear from someone of multiple talents because they tend to have some valuable insight. This was true; Jenny explained that she created her own technique for painting by combining different techniques from her studies. She used Meisner technique from acting, blind contour, and ideas from neuroscience and divination. I find this crossover between seemingly completely different fields to be highly interesting. This concept of combining one’s interests is one I find to be quite valuable and have tried to practice in my own life.

I was also interested in Jenny’s combination of paintings and crochet to create visual art. I was glad that she could show us examples of this on Zoom so that we could see how she carries over themes, colors, and ideas from one visual medium to another. It is also great that she makes the crochet rugs from old t-shirts, recycling them. Furthermore, I enjoyed her explanation of her work. She said that her work tends to be about personal growth and exploring her own sensibility as a human being, which puts her perspective into the air for other people to feel and understand. I believe this is how art should be conducted, as a platform for personal expression. Also, I related to her statement that music is one of her main inspirations. Lastly, she gave me a reality check by explaining the bookkeeping job she maintains so that she has stable income. It is unfortunate that it is very difficult and unlikely for one to be a full-time artist. Nonetheless, I appreciated her perspective and art. I was able to learn from her insight and ideas.