Favorite photographs of NYC

Forums Class Discussion Films and photographs Favorite photographs of NYC

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #552
    Antonio Lopez
    Participant

Lewis Hine Photo: Construction of Empire State Building

This photo by Lewis Hine immediately caught my eye for a few reasons. One, I recognized it from somewhere before, so I know it must be a “widely” known photo. It just has a certain “realization” to it also. The fact that theses huge towers hovering over us were built by people! Someone was there on the eleventieth floor putting in the foundation for those buildings

This photo from Gordon Parks’ series A Harlem Family 1967, where he took photographs of the Fontenelle family for a month, is of the youngest son, Richard. He is all grown up in this photo and was able to “escape” his family’s poverty. I just love the “sterness” of the son’s face. You can tell this was an “of the moment” photo. The photographer just wanted to take an immediate picture- and gave the subject little notice. He just waned to see him how he looked at that moment.

This photo, from Chien-Chi Chang, is just awesome. I love the juxtaposition of the man eating his breakfast/lunch/whatever and the busy streets underneath him. It really showcases the attitudes of both sides- the apathy of both sides for the other. He sure doesn’t care what other’s see or think of him. I can just imagine him reasoning “It’s my lunch break, I’m hungry, and I don’t care.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.