Reaction to Let the Great World Spin

Forums Class Discussion Poems and other readings Reaction to Let the Great World Spin

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Albert Connolly
    Participant

I enjoyed reading Let the Great World Spin because of the way it told a complex story through a series of varying characters. It is a very different approach to storytelling that I found very interesting. One of the most intriguing things about the book was the fact that it tied together such a diverse group of people, from judges, to amateur photographers, to prostitutes. This book really made me think about how New York has so many different communities within it, many of which, I have not experienced. As shown by McCann, New York is a home for people of all backgrounds and walks of life.

As I was reading, I realized that Let the Great World Spin is very similar to a movie called Amores Perros, a Mexican film about a group of people who are brought together by a car crash in Mexico City. The similarities between the two are striking. Just as the tightrope walk brings together all these different people, the car crash brings connects famous models, young dogfighters, and former guerrilla hitmen. The movie and the book even deal with similar themes in that they deal with the suffering and love that characters have.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.