Interview with JCORP @jcorptm

1. What inspired you to get into street-art/graffiti?

“I was completing my senior year at the School of Visual Arts when I discovered graffiti and street art. My concentration was in illustration and printmaking at the time, and the two mediums were a perfect fit. I was becoming disillusioned with the alleged ‘high art gallery’ system and fell in love with street art because it was an egalitarian art world where I could have my art seen by many people without having to go through a middle agency.”

2. What do you base your artwork on?

“My artwork comes from my childhood inspiration of 90’s and 2000’s Japanese Manga and Anime (with some vintage in the mix). They are loose narratives around my life and current events told in a rainbow-infused, magical characters in a fantastical, cosmic setting. Lots of personal emotions and self portraiture in the mix too!”

3. How do you feel your artwork has contributed to the beauty of NYC? 

“I’ve been very fortunate to hear that people have enjoyed my murals and street art for its uplifting and cheerful messages, as well as humorous characters. I always think that we could use more colors in our lives, and I strive to make the viewers smile, or even chuckle a little!”

Graffiti by JCORP
(instagram.com/jcorptm)