The Life Behind the Face of Elmo

Any New Yorker should know by now nothing screams “The Big Apple” like a posed photograph with a cartoon character costume in Times Square. Adam Girard, a Canadian immigrant, wasn’t so swift in his decision to become a cartoon character in Times Square. Before stepping into the Times Square commotion of Elmos, superheroes, and ‘naked’ cowboys, Mr. Girard was “employed in a shoe factory for a few years prior.” After speaking with a friend, also a costume character, he realized more money could be made in less time working for tips as a costumed character in the heart of the city. “I never imagined I’d be Elmo,” said Mr. Girard, 33, “but I have 2 daughters, 4 and 6 years old. I need money for my rent and food.”

However, the lifestyle isn’t always giving. During his 10 years as Elmo and various other characters, “there were difficult times, earnings varied wildly, from lows of $40 for ten hours of work, and highs of $300,” he said. The years prior to 2011, the amount of costume performers grew slowly for several years but exploded in 2011 after the creation of the influx of pedestrian malls. As a result, much more people began visiting Times Square (Jones). With the increase in demand, the supply of character performers also spiked. “I feel like my industry has been destroyed,” said Girard. “Every day there is a new Hulk, and an army of Elmos. It can get brutal.” At certain times of the day, he said, there might be dozens of street performers standing by a bus stop with their bulky costumes in the hot sun waiting to go to Times Square . However, this job does have its benefits. “I’m not stuck in a factory, I get to meet people, move around, and I don’t have a boss,” he notes.

Man working as a costumed Elmo being arrested

Some performers feel the men and women arrested by police give a bad reputation to those who are trying to make a living without causing any trouble. “I myself try to stray away from the bad behavior.” However, Girard believes the arrest of aggressive and sometimes harassing characters are the exceptions and most of them are just trying to support their families. Still, he notes, this bad publicity from the “fights and law suits against cookie monster and other characters” hurts him and this industry, which “only makes it harder to earn an honest buck.” Many performers run into deep water for demanding specific amounts of money from tourists. “We are allowed to ask but not demand a specific amount and pressure tips by surrounding people,” Girard explains.

Girard claimed that a select group of police officers harass them every day. “They’re exercising power against us.” Police officers often make it hard for characters to earn money. He said when the tourist take their photo and are about to tip, police officers often tell tourists not to tip them. “We lose money, they look at us like criminals. It’s discriminatory” Girard explained.

Picture here shows the small designated activity zones

However, the obstacles seem to keep piling on. After many tourists and business interests complained that the characters were violent and becoming a nuisance, New York passed a bill that creates restrictions for Times Square’s costumed performers. Under the bill, the performers, like Elmo, must work for tips in “special areas” and are restricted to step out of the designated area (Gonzales). These small designated activity zones, presented by blue paint, make it difficult for any performers to make a living, Girard notes. “80 percent of the time we have to go up to people and interact with them, entertain them, and convince them to take pictures with us, now I’m limited to do so in this ‘invisible’ box, which makes it very difficult to approach people and earn a living.”

Pedestrian’s Guide to Times Square

However, Robert O’Hare, commanding officer of the Times Square says, “Time square is a place for commercial activity and of free speech, but should also allow tourists to have a choice to whether they’re being approached or hassled.” These designated areas “encompasses any entertainers, costumed characters, and ticket sellers,” O’Hare explains (Ramos). Performers must follow these new rules or face harsh repercussions. Any performer violating the new rule starts off with a civil ramification and a fine of up to $600 or jail time, Girard notes. “Times square should be shared by everyone,” he elaborates, “whether they are playing a violin for tips, dressing up as Elmo, or just sitting on a bench, taking it all in.”

References

Gonzales, Richard. “New York City Boxes In Street Performers.” NPR, NPR, 21 June 2016, www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/21/483006493/new-york-city-boxes-in-streetperformers.

Jones, Kenneth. “Times Square Pedestrian Mall Will Welcome Food-Service Delivery, Tents and Kiosks.” Playbill, PLAYBILL INC., 30 Mar. 2011, www.playbill.com/article/times-squarepedestrian- mall-will-welcome-food-service-delivery-tents-and-kiosks-com-177754.

Ramos, Andrew. “Times Square Rezoning Begins, Relegating Characters to Sidelines.” WPIX11 New York, 9 June 2016, pix11.com/2016/06/09/times-square-rezoning-begins-relegatingcharacters- to-sidelines/.