Samhita Kattekola – Tribute in Light

The Tribute in Light is essentially a channel, an ode, an opening to the memories and the grief associated with the horrendous bombing of the World Trade Centre on September 11, 2001; materialized by two beams of light rising vertically upwards from Ground Zero. To click its picture, I went to the Ground Zero at first, but couldn’t get a nice view, however the building next the one from which the light appeared was lit in flag colors, symbolizing the shattering tragedy. I found a better view at the Brooklyn Bridge and hence clicked it from Brooklyn Bridge closer towards the Manhattan side at 8.47 p.m. The beams of light were not as distinctly visible due to the cloudy sky. However, while trying to capture the view of the skyline of Manhattan along with the symbolic Tribute of Light, I was struck by a vision of the New York’s Twin Towers instead of these two emblematic streaks of light, which distressed me as I was evoked by the devastating 9/11 incident. The skyline of Manhattan had changed forever indeed. However, these streaks of light, like a beacon, seem to be taking over darkness and giving us a hope for a brighter future, while still remembering the past and offering a Tribute in Light.

This entry was posted in Tribute. Bookmark the permalink.