Pina Bausch’s Cafe Muller and The Rite of Spring

Cafe Muller and The Rite of Spring were both spectacular performances choreographed by Pina Bausch. Cafe Muller had me at the edge of my seat from the start when Bausch herself entered the stage in the dark where the audience could only hear the sounds of her feet shuffling and chairs moving. As an audience member, this dance challenged me because of the random movements that became repetitive overtime like a routine. For example, when the man in the suit continuously came to “fix” the position that the two dancers were in because they would keep returning to the hugging pose. I also found it interesting how the dancers would just bump into the chairs without maneuvering around them, unless they were moved for them, and how they would rush toward the walls or glass doors without hesitating. However, as these dancers interact with each other, Bausch remained at the same little corner and only went into center stage three times when other dancers were at the sides. While Cafe Muller showed us many abstract interactions between the six dancers and the stage, The Rite of Spring focused on the unity of a large group of female and male dancers, whether they were separated or together. The dancers made use of the entire space that was filled with dirt and as the dance progressed, the music got louder and so did their breathing. Initially separated, the dancers slowly came together as each female dancer meets the center male dancer until one is chosen to change into a red dress. The symbolism of the red and exclusion challenged me as I watched the performance. While The Rite of Spring focused on the choreography, Cafe Muller focused on the sounds that the dancers made as they hit the chairs, walls, and floors.

This entry was posted in Due Sept 26th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Pina Bausch’s Cafe Muller and The Rite of Spring

1. Caitlin says:

I agree that the positioning of the dancers, particularly Cafe Muller, was particularly notable. (Note: Bausch was not actually featured in the dance. Although she played that mysterious role when she was alive, she died in 2009 and this part has been fulfilled by other dancers from her company ever since.) The above “scene” mentioned in which the male and female dancer repeatedly embrace was perhaps one of the defining and most captivating moments of the performance.
    Furthermore, colors were certainly important in The Rite of Spring. Red is naturally a bold color and the fact that there was emphasis on this one dress and one girl challenged the audience to question its significance.